UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mange Treatments For Dogs

a lot of the street dogs we are treating have mange, our vet says they normally have both Demodectic and sarcoptic mange

Sri Lankan treatment is in the form of injections ( there are 2 types and I can't remember the names which is not helpful ) and also Taktic which is topical ( and there fore not very easy to apply )

The mange we are talking about is very advanced so Stronghold is not an option ( and we prefer Frontline as it deals with Ticks who carry Tick fever and a host of other baddies ) bathing the dogs again is rarely an option so treatments like malaseb baths are not really an option,

I have had a look on google and am going to contact some of the Fox charities who have herbal supplements you can feed to foxes and see if they are usable for dogs , also I have read up on studies about the overall health and skin condition of foxes and that giving vitamin A&D and B12 in food can also help ( or marmite sandwiches )

I am going to have a chat with my UK Vet next week on the subject but wondered if anyone here has had any experience with very advanced mange and conversational or homoeopathic remedies

few examples of mange dogs ( the vets refer to them as aluminium dogs )

srilanka2007093.jpg

srilanka2007094.jpg

Templepups150.jpg

I have used the homoeopathic treatment on a lot of foxes. In all honesty, if they were foxes I would go straight in with ivermectin with mange that advanced but that's not an option with all dogs of course. I haven't really tried the homoepathic treatment on mange that advanced but I have been incredibly impressed with the results in mild to moderate cases. It's a mixture of sulphur and arsenicum album and you can get it via The National Fox Welfare Society. Being homoepathic it's fine for all species and you can't really do any harm with it. You add it to their food for two weeks.

As you say, vitamin B helps with the skin and zinc is also good.

Although it wasn't as bad as your pictures Joyce had been treated for a quite severe case of Sarcoptic Mange before I rescued her & it was treated with Stronghold. There is a picture of her on arrival in rescue here http://www.oldies.org.uk/?p=1152 & so I did do a bit of research at the time.

If you feel that Stronghold could be of any interest / benefit before the problem reaches this stage then although it's a few years old now this may interest you http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/news/greekcats.htm

http://www.theneemteam.co.uk/ for neem oil is a more natural option.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/dog_mange_cure.html also offer some

although I haven't personally needed to try any of the various options here so can't comment on how effective they are.

http://www.nfws.org.uk/mange/mange02.htm is an article from a fox site you may find of interest

As you will perhaps know Advocate, Alludex & Dermisil are other options to Frontline - which as far as I recall had other benefits but the manufacturer didn't state it to be suited for curing sarcoptic mange.

Edited by Ian

Try Advocate

Advocate is a broad spectrum combination treatment, effective against fleas, flea larvae, roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, heartworms and Sarcoptic mange, ear and Demodex mites.

Advocate gives you proven flea and flea larvae control as well as effective control of intestinal nematodes, heartworm and mites.

Also we've been using a teatree and aloe vera spray on Izzy's flea allergy to help soothe things. It's called Johnsons Tea Tree Skin Calm

Edited by poppynvader

The downside of Ivermectin is that it kills some dogs - especially of the Collie-type family. :unsure:

The sulphur/arsenicum treatment has worked on foxes but I doubt they were as bad as the cases in your pictures.

There is the Bob Grass skincure cream but you would need pots and pots of it.

I have found Stronghold much better than Frontline for sarcoptic mange. You can't really cure demodectic mange until the dog is well and has a strong immune system.

I've never used the baths because they are so potent. I think Alludex is an organo-phosphate and would do no good to a dog who is already sick - though many do survive the treatment.

You could ask some of the Irish rescues - they pick up dogs in that condition. Try Mary of Dungarvan Kennels.

Oh and Apple Cider vinegar is good too. Almost neat in extreme cases. :flowers:

The downside of Ivermectin is that it kills some dogs - especially of the Collie-type family. :unsure:

The sulphur/arsenicum treatment has worked on foxes but I doubt they were as bad as the cases in your pictures.

There is the Bob Grass skincure cream but you would need pots and pots of it.

I have found Stronghold much better than Frontline for sarcoptic mange. You can't really cure demodectic mange until the dog is well and has a strong immune system.

I've never used the baths because they are so potent. I think Alludex is an organo-phosphate and would do no good to a dog who is already sick - though many do survive the treatment.

You could ask some of the Irish rescues - they pick up dogs in that condition. Try Mary of Dungarvan Kennels.

Oh and Apple Cider vinegar is good too. Almost neat in extreme cases. :flowers:

thanks for that, the vet is also worried about using the really stong injections on dogs that are already in a poor condition and as you say if there immune system is weak then it does tend to reoccur

do you have an email address for Mary please

And now I'm going to go in search of the info that I have somewhere on apple cider vinegar and mange. It worked for me on a dog that was in an awful condition last winter.

Vinegar (in the same & different form) is certainly in two of the suggestions on the earthclinic link too.

Edited by Ian