UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Photos Saved To Cd - Problems Viewing

lavenderblue

Hope someone can help. I saved photos taken over a couple of years to cd a year or so ago using my old pc running 98. I bought a new pc agggggggges ago and yesterday came across the old photo CD, I cant view it on my pc, my sons pc or the laptop (all running xp) but........ I took the disc into Boots and using the Kodak machine and it told me there were over 500 pic on the disc and I could view them fine. I had the option to print them or make a cd in the shop.

Would the newly made cd be playable on any pc? is the first question.

Secondly, I popped into our strange little photographic store and asked in there, they sell cameras and telescopes etc, and the chap in there said he does peoples photos from mem card not disc, so I explained my problem and he said he could have a look for me, as he was running several pcs at home all networked so could get the info off the disc using 98 and transfer it using xp. I told him I would pop back, but... he made me feel a bit... uneasy.. I wasnt that comfortable with him looking at all my piccies, not that there is anything dodgey on there of course, but its the kids, christmas that kind of thing as far as I can remember, few years worth! He said he would charge me a fiver, which was kind of him. I just am not that sure about letting him go through my photos, odd maybe I know! It was just an feeling he gave me, ungrateful that I am!But

when I put the disc in my pc it only shows 'read me' files and says the driver doesnt support MRW - next one says something like the drive cannot handle the disc because it was formatted by cd-mrw - But the Kodak machine in boots reads it just fine - the newer Boots machine couldnt read it at all.

All advice gratefully received. :flowers:

It sounds to me, and I'm by no means an expert, that the pictures were saved in a format peculiar to Kodak, most pics are saved as .jpgs or .bmps to name two. Can you find any info on the Kodak website? Maybe they've got a viewer or an exporter?

Could you perhaps choose one and email it to me to see if I can open it, I've got a graphics program that can import some other types of files, might be worth a go perhaps?

Edited to add that I just Googled MRW and it seems to be a peculiarity of a CD burner. MR stands for Mount Rainier!!!!

I hope someone comes along to help that knows what they are talking about.

Edited by GingerMacYoYo

The pic's were saved as a format usually created by old versions of Nero burning software which often came bundled with older cd drives - now the interesting thing is that Windows XP is supposed to be able to read the format but for some reason yours isn't.

There's a free software download which reads the mrw format available here:

http://www.isobuster.com/udf-reader.php

If that doesn't work let me know :flowers:

thanks for your replies :flowers:

Kodak easyshare was a good idea, I downloaded but alas - no dice, but thankyou for your kind suggestion GMYY!

Snow - I downloaded the Isobuster, and it certainly read the cd, and showed me a long list of all stored on there - I think I actually used it to save docs as well as sort of a backup. The download doesnt allow me to view or save (unless Im doing it wrong) it asks for a product key and then when you click it takes you onto the website to buy the package. So Im wondering if the free download is a taster - you can almost look, but you cant touch! of course Im so Technically challenged it could be me doing it all wrong. Thankyou though, I did enable me to see a list of whats on the disc.

I did just manage to find B's clip disc and load that,which was the original programme I used to burn the Cd on my old pc, but it doesnt seem to help either!

thanks again to you both for your help :)

Edited by lavenderblue

thanks for your replies :flowers:

Kodak easyshare was a good idea, I downloaded but alas - no dice, but thankyou for your kind suggestion GMYY!

Snow - I downloaded the Isobuster, and it certainly read the cd, and showed me a long list of all stored on there - I think I actually used it to save docs as well as sort of a backup. The download doesnt allow me to view or save (unless Im doing it wrong) it asks for a product key and then when you click it takes you onto the website to buy the package. So Im wondering if the free download is a taster - you can almost look, but you cant touch! of course Im so Technically challenged it could be me doing it all wrong. Thankyou though, I did enable me to see a list of whats on the disc.

I did just manage to find B's clip disc and load that,which was the original programme I used to burn the Cd on my old pc, but it doesnt seem to help either!

thanks again to you both for your help :)

If you can look can you copy? If you can copy one of the pics and send it to me [email protected] I'll see if theres anyway I can open it and if I can I can maybe talk you through how it's done lol

Thanks :flowers: but it wont let me look properly, all I get is a list of the names of each photo, if you click on them or anything (like file) right click/left click, a box pops up saying you need to register and it takes you to the ordering section. I think Im going to have to try the Kodak machine in Boots again and see how many kodak discs I need, Im not sure how many images they hold, and also check that the kodak cd will work on my pc. I will then transfer them (or at least attempt to) that way.

Thanks eversomuch for your help , it is much appreciated :)

Thanks eversomuch :flowers: after trying and trying in Boots at the kodak machine, standing for 2 hours trying to transfer all the data over onto 4 kodak discs, I gave up and then came home and rang our nearest computer shop and cried to the nice man , who said he would have a look and see if he could transfer my stuff onto a new disc that can be read on my drive. He promised that he and his mates would not laugh at my piccies, not even a titter, so I dropped it off and am ringing him friday to see If he has got round to doing to, as they are chocca at the moment with repairs etc. But... if he cant do it for any reason, I would love to try the ISO disc :flowers: thankyou , you are a total star!