UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

First Season

leonak

marble the lurcher is having her first season. i say first but it will be only as she will be spayed in a few months. she sleeps upstairs where we have white carpet (my mums idea and i regularly berate her for it, what was she thinking?!?!) and just to generally stop her dripping everywhere, she has been wearing knickers with a panty liner. i dont think she is completely humiliated and i think they are quite comfortable. we had looked into those proper dog pants things but se she has a tiny waist and massive thighs, i think it will be impossible to get ones to fit. i was just wandering if anyone else had any ideas. the other thing is, iv not had a bitch in season before as all our other bitches have always been spayed before we've had them (rescue dogs) so i wandered about walking her. im obviously going to avoid peak dog walking times but at what point during the season is she likely to become a tart? big pointer job dudley hasnt shown much interest yet. hes been done but only a year and a half ago (hes nearly 5) so i would expect some reaction...

thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

the season lasts approx. 21 days, she'll reach a stage of when she wants to mate with other dogs - as if the survival of her species depended on it, from memory (mine all spayed too) they say ready for mating at about 12-14 days, but a few days either way, depending on the bitch, if you run your hand along the back above the tail-she will stand upright and in a stance as if ready, if that makes sense

keep on leash throughout to be safe, avoid areas where other dogs about or you may aquire a following and attention you don't want, don't let her out your sight :biggrin:

there is a spray product you can buy to help mask the odour, haven't tried it so no sure how good it is, might be worth a try,

as for cream carpet :rolleyes: some people have used huggies or similar with a hold cut out for the tail, or you could put down one of those plastic carpet protectors/runners and then just wipe it clean, be able to take it up as well when finished

Amanda

Like Amanda says, day 12 to 14 are when a bitch is more receptive. Personally I'd not take her out at all.

Male doglets could pounce on her while she is on lead and also if you walk her, you will have all the "latch key dogs" in the neighbourhood at your door.

Keep her in for the full 3 weeks. Plenty of toys in the garden etc.

Kazz xx

I'd keep her on your premises for the full 3 weeks. I once took a puli bitch out on a deserted beach during the last few days of a season. Suddenly 4 entire males appeared, one collie and 3 assorted gundogs, and I had to leg it for the car carrying the bitch, while my puli boy fended off the marauders.

thanks for your replies. we're nearly done now, shes almost back to normal back there. i kept her in for a couple of days when she was really in slapper mode but otherwise walked her before 7 and after 8 at night. i dont know how breeders do it though. i couldnt do it again!