UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Could This Be?

Julie C

It seems when Harry is in a deep sleep he makes this noise as if he is gasping for breath. He seems to be really fighting for air but then he stops so suddenly you think he has gone. I know dogs dream and can make allsorts of noises but this is really scary. It has happened every day since Thursday day or night. He had his second vacination on Thursday and had a good check up. All was fine she said. He screamed with the needle but did get a puppy pack for his troubles. :biggrin:

Julie x

Bear used to do this and I was barely sleeping for worrying about him and listening out for his breathing, but he was diagnosed with "reverse sneezing" which may be because his palate is slightly too long. *If* it is because a slightly elongated palate the vet thinks that it probably dries out whilst he is sleeping and sticks to his throat and he needs to gasp to lubricate it a bit. She did say that if he does you can tilt the head back slightly and rub the throat to encourage them to swallow and lubricate :rolleyes: :blush:

Bear used to do this and I was barely sleeping for worrying about him and listening out for his breathing, but he was diagnosed with "reverse sneezing" which may be because his palate is slightly too long. *If* it is because a slightly elongated palate the vet thinks that it probably dries out whilst he is sleeping and sticks to his throat and he needs to gasp to lubricate it a bit. She did say that if he does you can tilt the head back slightly and rub the throat to encourage them to swallow and lubricate :rolleyes: :blush:

Thank you I will try that to see if it works. It's not everytime he sleeps just now and again so will give it a go. :flowers:

Julie x

George does it too, I know its scary if you dont know what it is, I thought George was having a heart attack or asthma or something when I first saw him do it, I rushed him to the vets in a right panic :rolleyes: , the vet said it was reverse sneezing and is very common. He did it this morning actually, I just rub his throat and wait for it to stop. Funnily enough Tyra has never done it, I wonder if its larger breeds that only do it? :unsure:

Anyway, I wouldnt worry about it at all, George has been doing it for years and he,s fine :flowers: :flowers: