UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Needed

Guest humph10

Guest humph10

Hello, I have three 'oldie' dogs, Springer (8 yrs), Border Terrier (not sure if pedigree, 7 years), large Lurcher type dog (13 years and is a bit arthritic), all rescues. We are moving to Australia in August and the plan always was to take them however, it looks highly likely that we will be moving on again after about a year. I would like to hear of other people's views about taking them, stress of flight (22 hours in a cage), quarantine, or should I just try and rehome them? I don't like to think about parting with them and adding to the thousands of homeless dogs but I want what is best for them. Any ideas?

Quarantine in Oz is only 3 weeks providing you have all the right documentation so not too bad! What's 24hours of upset against the rest of their lives with you? You should really be consulting transport companies and vets now - and be prepared to shell out an arm and a leg! :biggrin:

Guest humph10

I know it is going to be expensive (about £8000 in total for all three), if we were staying in Oz it wouldn't be too much of an issue but after about a year it is likely we will be traveling on to Dubai ( I haven't even looked into taking them there). I am thinking - would it be kinder to rehome them now rather then put them through all the stress if we have to rehome them at a later date?

Quarantine in Oz is only 3 weeks providing you have all the right documentation so not too bad! What's 24hours of upset against the rest of their lives with you? You should really be consulting transport companies and vets now - and be prepared to shell out an arm and a leg! :biggrin:

I have to agree with Elaine. I rather would have 24 hrs of flight, 3 weeks in Quarantine and then a loving life together again. However, if you really want to re-home, please ensure you contact the rescues you have rehomed these dogs from in the first instance as per adoption contract you must likely had to sign :)

I would suggest looking into the possible move from Australia to Dubai, so you know all the details now. For one thing the flights between the 2 would be shorter, and horrible tho it sounds, it is possible the oldest of the 3 may not have to make that journey.... If it was me I would rather take mine with me - even tho it involves a long flight they will be together - and enjoy the time - especially as unless they are REALLY lucky rehoming means losing their humans and canine companions.