UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dillon Was Poorly Last Night

cindere528

We went to bed last night as normal and Dillon suddenly started shaking his head, scratching his left ear & holding his head down on the left hand side. I know it's fairly common for Cockers to get grass seeds etc in their ears so I tried to have a look but he wouldn't let me. That in itself is very unusual for Dillon, normally people can do anything with him (that's the reason they love him at our vet's). Anyway, he was running round the bedroom trying to get comfortable but he couldn't settle & was panicking. I always use lavender spray in the bedroom to create a relaxing atmosphere but that didn't help poor Dillon last night at all. All this went on for over an hour and by about 1 o'clock in the morning I was thinking of calling the vet. Dillon was panting really hard as if he'd been running fast & he felt very hot. He was still holding his head down & scratching his ear, crying whilst doing it. Before calling the vet, I decided to give him some Rescue Remedy to calm him down because he really was in a state. I let him lick the Rescue Remedy off my fingers and almost immediately he calmed down. I decided to give him another few drops & within about 10 minutes he had settled down on my bed & went to sleep. He slept for the rest of the night & has been perfectly normal today. I intended to take him to the vets this morning if he had been at all unwell, but he was absolutely fine today.

Could he have been having a panic attack because of his ear hurting? His ear didn't seem to be inflamed at all from what bit I could see. Is it possible that his ear problem might have been an insect crawling in & then crawling out again?

Poor Dillon :GroupHug: I suppose all of the above are possible, or maybe just an itch inside his ear? Or its possible it could be something else. I'd pop him along to the vets anyway just as a precaution. If he has something in his ear or had an insect bite you want to get rid of it before it becomes infected. :flowers:

We had this with Moses. One night while we were staying at Sarah's he woke me up with the noise he was making scratching his ear. We managed to calm him down and put in some ear drops. He was ok then for a day or so and then it came back with a vengenance. His ear was nearly bleeding it was so sore.

We took him to the vets who prescribed him antibiotic ear drops along with an anti inflammatory.

I'd take Dillon to the vets if I were you Vivien, just to be on the safe side. Moses too was really hot which made us think it might be an infection but he wasn't off his food at all. No other symptoms apart from his ear being really sore.

Jill

xx