UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Purdie Has Been Promoted!

safneo

how does Purdie teach the other dog ? ( I have a silly mental image of Purdie standing in front of a blackboard in a park giving a lesson :laugh: )

She tells him off when he is rude (and he is very rude, he literally will not leave another dog alone), but corrects him fairly, so that when he's behaving nicely they run around sniffing together and interacting just as other dogs do, so he learns what is acceptable and what isn't. He absolutely bullies other dogs just because he is so OTT but he's learning already that he can't do that. His owner said he wasn't as bad with Purdie as he normally is as Purdie just won't put up with it. Just typical dog behaviour really, warning, then rahrahing close to him, sitting on him or standing over him, that kind of thing. We've tried taking photos and film but they run around too much to get good shots.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just H at the moment, we can do some basic moves like leaping over legs, twirl & twist, stand, that kind of thing, the problem is as always trying to get Purdie to work for a few minutes without her getting herself into a big shrieking yelling tizzy, she gets super excited and can't concentrate, so we just do the tricks but no routine - although I thought of a cracking idea for one so may try stringing some moves together. Purdie doesn't work for free so it can be tricky keeping her attention too. Any tips?

Hi Nat,

I'd have a go at teaching some self control type exercises - nothing fancy. Just stays or calm work - Katie is learning to sit up and beg just now which takes a lot of concentration and can't be done if she's excited because she loses her balance.

Are you still doing TTouch with Purdie? I found it really good for helping with motivation and general being able to remain in a good state of mind for listening.

And for my guys, big rewards seem to be more motivating especially for long chains of moves. When I have competed with them, I put the reward (a whole tray of naturediet) on the judge's table as we go into the ring. This is where the self-control comes in - they both know they have to wait until I say before getting the reward but knowing what is coming seems to help with their motivation.

Can I ask about Purdie's teaching dog work? I'm interested to know how you managed to teach her when she is and isn't working. So that if dogs in the park are charging around like loonies, she doesn't feel the need to go over and correct them.

Cal went through a phase a while ago now where he got really upset if other dogs were squabbling - he would stop them if he could or bark and lunge at them if he was on lead. It was causing him a lot of stress in class situations where dogs will sometimes have a bit of a pop at each other. I ended up working to teach him (as much as I could) that it isn't his responsibility and that he can just ignore other dogs when they start on each other.

With Purdie, she does sometimes do that work but I'd be interested to know how you went about teaching her when she doesn't need to be doing it.

I'm fascinated by all of it - if Purdie is working with the dog near you, do you do this in the park or find somewhere more secluded? It must be great to have her working and know that she isn't going to bog off onto the horizon like she used to.

I'm so pleased for you - especially I know how much recall was an issue for Purdie and how keen you were to get her out on walks again. It's fabulous that she is able to get out and about and that her recall is now so good.

Well done,

Tracey xx