UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Barking

jax39

Posting on behalf of a friend. He has the most adorable affectionate dog, a collie x newfoundland. her only problem is constant loud barking when shes playing. If she finds a stick, or is playing ball, when she brings it back she barks constantly and wont drop. Shes a big dog and its a very loud bark, and I know he finds it a bit stressful when shes out. Ive suggested training classes, but hes asked me to post on here for any other advice. Thankyou!

It sounds like an excited or frustrated bark - as if the dog is saying 'cummon quick, through it again'? Am I right?

If this is right, I would deal with it by turning my back on the dog as soon as it starts barking, and only turning back when the barking stops - this sends the message that barking actually stops me wanting to be involved, if you want me involved (and throwing again) you'd better learn to contain yourself - most dogs will understand that and it's normally quite effective in those sorts of circumstances. Even better, once the dog is concentrating, teach it to do something that's impossible to do while barking - like lie down......

Its definately an excited bark, shes just so happy to be playing! I will suggest he turns his back, he does stop playing with her when the barking gets too much, but I dont want him to do that, she loves playing! Just needs to learn how to teach her not to bark! Thankyou. :flowers:

He can't just turn round when it gets too much, he must do it as soon as she starts barking, or she's being 'randomly reinforced' for the behaviour, which is a technique we use when we want a behaviour to continue without always rewarding it. Alongside this, he must make sure she is rewarded with what she wants when she's quiet as this is equally important.

Once she's learnt, and the more consistent he is, the quicker she will learn, then the more he will be able to play with her - and surely this is about what he wants, not what you want?