UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Please!

Rachelpirate

Connie is my 3yr old Border collie/Golden retriever cross, a rescue dog who is quite dog agressive in certain situations. Being mostly Collie she needs to be doing something, and although she loves doing agility in the garden I don't have a lot of equipment and can't really afford my own contacts etc so she's limited to a few jumps and a tunnel which can be frustrating at times. My garden is pretty large but isn't the right shape to be able to set up a proper big course that we can get stuck into. I was thinking Heelwork to music might be her sort of thing, and could keep her occupied without needing as much space. The thing is that with her agression (although she isn't agressive to every dog) I don't feel comfortable taking her into a training group and putting everyone's dogs at risk. It doesn't seem responsible to me. :unsure: So I was wondering, is Heelwork to music the kind of sport that we could just practice at home as a hobby, and if so does anyone know of any good books or training guides etc we could get?

Thanks,

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

You can practise heelwork to music at home no problem. I have Mary Ray's book 'Dog Tricks' which is really good. Well photographed and gives really nice step by step instructions for all the tricks in it. Mary Ray also has a book called Dancing with Dogs which has a few routines in it.

Tracey xx