UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Podgy Bitches

Sef's Mum

Do bitches put on weight quicker after they've been spayed?

Both Lucy and Rena eat much less than recommended daily food amounts advised by the manfacturer but both are overweight and it's difficult to shift. I can't imagine giving them less than I already do as it wouldn't be much at all.

They're not putting any more on but seemed to have settled at the weight their currently at. The vet says they could do with losing a couple of kilo's each.

Sef is 40 kilo's which just about right and he scoops up all their left overs. He's not really that much more active either as he's restricted to lead walks and they can go offlead.

We have changed them onto a fish and rice food to see if that helps.

Ali

This does seem to be the case for many bitches. I think it is because their metabolism slows down and so they need less food than they had before they were spayed. My goldie was quite a slim adolescent but in the last 2 years or so (shes nearly 4) we have struggled to keep her weight at an acceptable level, and have had to reduce her food right down, and increase the exercise she does.

Yep, another bonus to spaying - spayed bitches are cheaper to keep :D

You could try swapping some of their food for some green veggies. So even though they are having less 'dog food' they are still getting a decent amount in their bowl.

I don't come across many dogs (mainly through training classes) that can actually manage to eat the amount recommended on the bag without putting on too much weight. Food manufacturerererers always seem to air on the generous side. :rolleyes:

I weighed their food today and they have approximately 1/3 of what is recommended.

I used to feed my old Seth on tinned food. He used to have a tin and a half a day but they suggested 3-4 tins :glare:

I'll have a go at adding veg, Rena might fall for it but Lucy is highly skilled at picking up and spitting out the bits she doesn't want. She sometimes doesn't eat for a couple of days and still never loses any weight :unsure:

Ali