UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Puppy Sleeping Arrangements

Helen Louise

A few years back when we got our Border Collie pup we had him sleeping in our bedroom, he went on develop separation issue etc but that could of been down to the fact that he was a BC after all :ohmy: :laugh: more recently our last two dogs (at diiferent times) we had them in a crate in the living room & any whining ignored, they have gone on to be well adjusted dogs, I am now reading that this is not "The done thing" & puppies should be allowed to sleep in your bedroom :wacko: I can understand why as its a scary new world for a pup but is it then cruel to oust it from your bedroom a few days/weeks later? :wacko:

It appears the more I read the more confusing it is :(

What are your thoughts on this?

I am asking this as we have a puppy arriving here on Friday & I want to do the right thing :)

Why does a puppy need to be ousted from the bedroom when it's older? Is there any particular reason why you don't allow adults dogs to sleep in the bedroom with you? All mine have slept in the bedroom at night - they actually can sleep where they like and sometimes if it gets too hot in there they relocate downstairs to the sofa but in the main they choose to be in with us.

I've never had any separation issues simply because of where I have allowed the dogs to sleep.

Two reasons mainly, the first is that I keep my cats litter tray in there so it stops the litter tray raiding :wacko:

Secondly, although it does not affect me in the day I tend to suffer with allergies when I get into bed if there have been pets in or on the bed & after an endless amount of trials allergy bedding/sprays/pooch sprays etc the only thing that worked was keeping the pets out of the bedroom & putting a sheet over the bed in the day time to stop the cats hair/dander getting on the the duvet etc

you could slowly move your puppys bed/crate towards the door, then outside the door, but keep it open, then try to shut it when pupster feels secure enough. It may takes days or weeks.

My dogs sleep where they like, usually there are 2 in the bedroom but it is their own choice. I understand if you suffer from allergy and like your oxygen flow though, that it just might not be practical :laugh:

Just remember, time and patience given out in the beginning comes back ten fold in all aspects of training your little puppy :flowers:

Edited by doggie mum

None of our dogs are allowed upstairs so don't sleep in the bedroom.

However when Khanu was a puppy he slept in our bedroom in a crate. Once he could sleep through the night without needing to wee, we started gradually moving the crate out of the bedroom just as doggie mom suggests. Within 2 weeks he was happy going to his crate in the kitchen and as he grew he just used the crate less and less. Once the crate was downstairs we never shut him in it again except when one of us had smashed a glass or something and didn't want him treading in it as we cleaned up!

When I got Jasper he was approx 6 months old and had terrible seperation problems already - my dogs don't go upstairs so I had to sort something out. I did what Lurchergirl says - I slept on the sofa until he was happy and settled there then started going upstairs - because of his problems it took 3 months but he was a very screwed up little dog with a lot of issues - you are starting with a clean slate. It was well worth the trouble because he is now very well adjusted to being left and is generally a confident little boy