UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dyl's Little Odd Habits - Advice?

Abby

We got Dylan from a rescue just before Christmas. He'd been in kennels for at least 2 months was given up by his family who'd had him since he was a pup (he's about 1) because they both worked all day long. As much as I know is that he was kept crated all day long and they couldn't cope with his 'rowdiness' when they let him out. Not surprising since he's a young lad full of beans. Anyway.

He's doing really well but there are a couple of things we're conscious of in the last few days. Firstly, he grinds his teeth at night. Has anyone else come across this? I know in people its generally a sign of stress or anxiety and I wondered if its part of the settling in process. He's very relaxed most of the time and get son very well with us and Clive, our other dog.

The other thing has just cropped up in the last few days. We've noticed that sometimes he will just stand with his head slightly down, not moving at all. Normally he does this up against a wall, or the kitchen cupboards. He doesn't do it for long and can be distracted out of it quite easily. Is it something he's learnt in kennels or from spending so much time alone when he was younger?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Some dogs do grind their teeth, but yes, it can also be stress related and you might expect it to stop when he's settled.

The standing thing sounds as if he's listening for something, and often seen in dogs in kennels, as if they are listening for the other dogs.

Just be careful the distraction doesn't teach him to turn it into an attention seeking behaviour.

Edited by K9Fran