UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Letter From Ben Bradshaw.

Last year, around the tim eof the last media attention on dog attacks, I emailed my MP wantin figures on cases brought under the DDA for 2004 (not avaliable at that time online, not sure if they are now), Data on dog bites, icluding those admitted to hospital for dog bites, and prosercutions under the Guard dogs act.

My MP Contacted John Reid, Who sent the letter to Ben Bradshaw and Ive just got a written reply...

" In 2004, the latest year for which figures are avaliable, 177 people were found guilty in England of failure to keep a dog under proper control under the 1871 Dogs Act as amended. Under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 a futher 30 people were found guilty of offences stemming from incidents occuring on private property where their dog had no right to be. These figures have been supplied by the Home Office. Unfotunatly, data on dog bites as well as the number of people admitted to hospital for dog bites are not held centrally. Additionally, data uunder the guard dogs act are collected as a part of miscellaneous offences and are not seperatly identifiable.

I can assure you that our legislation relating to dangerous dogs is kept under constant review nd is being further looked at in the light of recent un fortunate incidents."