UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Today I Will Be Training ....

cocoa

yes i clicker train ( word but same thing )

remember the dog must get the hand touch to get this

right this is a hard one and lots of people have idea on how to do it

there are 2 way in my mind

first food in hand , hand buy side ( left ) and wait for the dog to come to you pull your hand back and wait ,

the dog should in the end take one step back ( why looking at you with why can't i have the food )

click and feed that and do it again and again , after the dog has done 8 to 10 with out getting any wrong ,

put the word in ! easy lol

some dogs just never get this way

when they can't get it , i put the food in my hand and again hand on left side

and push my hand into them ( so there head has to come back to get the food ) at this point the dog should take one step back , word / feed .

IMG_5488.jpg

once they have this ,

i start to more my hand less and less till the word is there or i pull my arm back and then walk back

ria got it in 30 mins so now can walk 1 step back

will do some tomorrow with her lol

remember the dog in the stand not a sit or down lol as it can't walk back why sitting

if they do sit move 3 feet and start again and again and again

have a video so will get steve to put that up in a bit

Mary Ray suggests another way. As far as I can remember, she (I'm sure it's her) puts a piece of food between her feet, lets the dog take it and then the dog should automatically take a step back to get their head from between the owner's feet. As the dog takes a step back, click.

When our HTM group were starting this, to stop us from getting into habits of always clicking for the same number of steps back, we taught the dogs to walk back onto a mat and varied the distance between us and the mat. Worked well but we did end up with a few of them doing backward sendaways in obedience class :laugh:

Tracey xx

lol but i do ob

i need the dog to look up at my hand for the step back ,

we use this is the distance control ( the sit down and stand )

i take this to the stand in time

and call her name and i hope move my hand up to one side , which she know as stand ! one step up and back at the same time

in fun i can get cocoa to walk back over the room not prob's at all !

there are lots of way of training it ,

i just say my way lol

i don't think the mat is a great idea

the dog should be looking for a stop on it from you

to start with iwould never put one in but they all the dog i have tarined get that my arm up me standing up had hight and the send away and call back , ONE STEP no more we just want the one spet up and back

but in fun will walk as far back as i ask

remember to this is a trust thing and very walk the dog back into any thing at all

Thank you cocoa that makes more sence then what i was doing :)

I was doing it by holding a treat in my hand and luring lucky back a few times then waiting for the lucky to offer the movement but this hasn't been working as he just offers other things. :laugh: :laugh:

He normally picks things up really well but this has cofused him :(

but i will try your meathod :flowers:

• 1 month later...
Mary Ray suggests another way. As far as I can remember, she (I'm sure it's her) puts a piece of food between her feet, lets the dog take it and then the dog should automatically take a step back to get their head from between the owner's feet. As the dog takes a step back, click.

Tracey xx

The trouble with that is that you're clicking for a head down position and you're probably wanting the head up, so then you have an extra step to train it to raise its head.

I've never used food as a lure to teach the walk back. It's harder to get the distance you need if you're relying on something in your hand.

My first dog I taught with a target stick. Position it above the head so the dog takes a step back to touch it and take it from there. It works from in front and behind the dog. Extend the stick to get more distance.

The others have just been taught to target my hand for all sorts of things. Hand above the head, dog looks up and steps back. Raise the hand higher to get more steps. By the time you've reached the limit of being able to use your hand, the dog should be doing 3 or 4 steps and have got the idea.

To train a reverse straight through the legs, I now stand over the dog with just the muzzle poking out. It will just back out and I gradually increase the visible amount of dog.

I'm finding a walk back very useful for teaching left and left about turns to our collie at the moment. A lot of dogs don't seem to realise that they can do stuff with their rear end and it's a good exercise purely for coordination.

Pam

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to end up capturing this behaviour... Flash used to walk back as naturally as forward, so I just clicked when he did it... no problem at all. Jesse is the same; I just captured the behaviour that he did naturally during clicker training sessions. So I have never actually had to teach it as such!

Vera