UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Digging

MilliesMum

Hi

I have a 5 year old Australian Kelpi cross who is obsessed about digging, mainly when she is in the field with the horses. She was worn her teeth down to the gums in places, ripping up the grass and soil. The vet saw them 9 months ago when they were bad, but they are still getting worse, he says not to worry about it until they cause her problems.

I was thinking maybe of muzzling her when she is in the field with the horses. Was wondering what people thought of the idea and if you have any other suggestions. Also the best type of muzzel to get and where from.

Thanks!

I believe the best way to solve these sorts of problems is to get your head around *why* the dog is doing it, rather than try and prevent them physically - there is usually some need that the dog is trying to meet, wether it's a dietary deficiency or a need for stimulating excercise. Once you've found out what it is, and met that need in a more appropriate/acceptable way, the dog will cease the unwanted behaviour. Using a muzzle will probably mean your dog will work out a way to satisfyher need in some other, possibly even more unacceptable way.