UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Grumbling At The Puppy

Anniegirl

We have now had Pumpkin for over three weeks and Bertie my lurcher is still very grumpy with her. He grumbles when ever she comes near him but has't snapped at her. Pumpkin doesn't seem to realise that he is telling her to sod off and carries on pestering him and has started to bark at him, she is very fiesty. Annie and Pumpkin play alot and although I put Pumpkin away so Annie and Bertie can play I don't think he is very happy about it all.

At the moment Annie and Bertie go to day kenneling whilst Pumpkin either stays at home if one of us is working at home or goes down to OH mum for the day. So currently Bertie has peace from her most of the day but in a couple of weeks time Pumpkin will start going a couple of days a week so she will be around a bit more and will probably go full time after Christmas.

Is there anything I can do to help make Berts a bit happier or do I just leave them to sort it out themselves?

If Bertie is grumbling and the pup isn't taking any notice, then I really think you need to be prepared to step in and remove the pup, as if Bertie decides to 'really tell' the puppy, he could do some serious damage. Do you use a crate at home? Could you train the puppy to spend time in that? Maybe sending Bertie and Annie off to day kennels isn't helping his view of the puppy either......

Pumpkin is crated overnight, when she needs some time out and to give Annie and Bertie some peace. I do try and stop her pestering him but she also needs to be with us all.

I don't think going to day kenneling is an issue for him, they both love going there and it is an accepted part of his routine, I think he would be more upset if he didn't go. I am more worried about when Pumpkin starts going as she will be in another of his places (he does think he owns it :) )

Pumpkin is at the moment incredibly food obsessed and although she is learning trying to feed Berts infront of her would only mean she was in his face more. I do get them all to sit and give them treats rotating the order they are given to them to get her used to waiting her turn.