UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bird Of Prey Sighted

AngieK9

:angry:

Bird of prey, believed to be a Harris Hawk,ringed, several sightings in Southport this last week, I have emailed the IBR, local person thinks it may have been let loose by owner , not wanting to panic anyone but just in case you have small animals please be aware

the most a harris likely to take would be a small rabbit so i dont think you need to panic anyone :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

this bird is still about and is fairly large form what i can gather after a very random and confusing phone call to the rescue on sat!

LADY: there is a bird in my garden

ME: oh right

LADY: it was here yesterday and its back aagin today

ME:right, is it hurt

LADY: no no it seems to be eating and flying fine, it just wont go

ME: well it is a bird it can really go where it wants,

LADY: but its too big for me to feed it scares the other birds

ME: well unless it injured we cant really do much,

LADY: but its gor rings on

ME: oh is it a racing bird then, i can get their number for you

LADY: i dont knwo, it has them jessie things on too

ME: errr....what kind of bird is this then....

LADY: it looks like an eagle!!!

ME: ahhhhhhhhhh.........riteeeeeeeeee

so yes we can panic as i nearly did when i fell of my chair in shock

There is a possility that my husband may be able to catch this bird as he has good experience with birds of prey having worked with them. If the lady can get within 10 feet there is a good chance hubby will be able to get it. Having said this he doesn't have all of his equipment any more so would need some bits if anyone can contribute. He has just one glove. He would need to be able to give the bird something to eat to be able to approach it and try to catch it. Is anyone able to describe what this bird looks like? Is it definitely a Harris Hawk? Is it still visiting the lady's garden every day? If it is a HH they don't lose their tameness very quickly. He also thinks that someone has lost this bird with it having jessies on. Has anyone contacted the Cheshire Hawking Club about this. They would probably like to help as well:

Jeff on 01942 201995

Jenny on 0151 424 7217

Richard on 07860 679837 email

[email protected]

There is a possility that my husband may be able to catch this bird as he has good experience with birds of prey having worked with them. If the lady can get within 10 feet there is a good chance hubby will be able to get it. Having said this he doesn't have all of his equipment any more so would need some bits if anyone can contribute. He has just one glove. He would need to be able to give the bird something to eat to be able to approach it and try to catch it. Is anyone able to describe what this bird looks like? Is it definitely a Harris Hawk? Is it still visiting the lady's garden every day? If it is a HH they don't lose their tameness very quickly. He also thinks that someone has lost this bird with it having jessies on. Has anyone contacted the Cheshire Hawking Club about this. They would probably like to help as well:

Jeff on 01942 201995

Jenny on 0151 424 7217

Richard on 07860 679837 email

[email protected]

Hubby is also intrigued to know what this bird is eating in the meantime.

Hubby is also intrigued to know what this bird is eating in the meantime.

he shouldnt really need any :biggrin: i once caught a lost gos with a riding glove (i was on the moors hunting at the time!)which was attached to a length of baler twine, & swung in a lure pattern. The Gos bound to it & I carried him home, much to horses disgust!!!

If he is experenced with raptors & can swing a lure, thenm make a makeshift one.

My stepdad flies two Harris hawks and they are generally very tame and friendly birds. If they are going to catch it though then they will need a pair of very sturdy gloves as their talons can inflict a nasty wound even unintentionally. Gardening gloves would be ideal.

Our Harrises do not respond to swinging lures so he could try just holding a piece of meat up high in the glove so the bird sees it and it should fly down to his hand then he can grip the jesses firmly in the glove. Ideally you want to offer it a chick or a mouse... you could try a local petshop that deals in reptiles for this...

He knows what to do but no good if he doesn't know where the bird is and we can't take it in. There's a chance the bird will come to a hand with a glove (as said good strong glove) on if someone holds a piece of meat. Best thing to do is to contact the hawking club as I imagine someone would be able to take this bird in for now. We haven't the facility to do that but Martyn is more than willing to go and try to catch the bird if it has somewhere to go. He says he can make a lure to take although may not be needed but best to take just in case as Southport is a distance from us and can take the food to tempt it.

Is it still around?

Edited by Jacobean

I think so, there was a photo posted on local website and someone said it is a harris hawk, Heva where is the lady? A chap has posted on the local site, he lost a Harris Hawk in June, there have been sightings in various places, Weld Road near the Fisherman's Rest, Grange Road, Ainsdale, Hesketh Park,over Pleasureland (well, what used to be Pleasureland), people are saying maybe there are two loose. I have pm'd the man and asked for his number so if any sightings people can ring him. He has had calls but when he gets there the bird has gone.

Edited by AngieK9

lady was in birkdale......didnt get her number :( coz was totally confused by call!!! will hope she or soemoen calls back on sat! will talk to wildlife dept as were prob closest rescue with wildlife dept. They will know of any other calls and try to get a log going of sightings!

(oh dear .....seems its expanding from lost dogs now) lol