UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fat Cat!

tegk68

Blue is a 13 year old moggie :wub:

Blue has an average cat sort of lifestyle, that is, a lot of sleep and a little bit of exercise. She catches the odd rodent now and again and normal cat like things such as that. Most of the day she sleeps in the greenhouse with her sister and has the odd wander around. At night she sleeps inside. She is fed the same amount as her sister, twice a day. She eats only her food as Molly her sister is quite protective over what is hers etc. They do not get treats. They are regularly wormed with the 3 month wormers from the vets. I am very particular about that. They are also vaxed.

Molly is nice and slim. Pretty much perfect really. Blue is fat. In fact Blue has been slowly getting fatter and fatter over the last few months. She now weighs a tonne when I pick her up :unsure: and looks like she has swallowed a football :huh: .

I am beginning to get a little bit worried about it thinking there could be some underline medical condition, if so what could it be? Or is it that as she approaches old age her metabolism has slowed down a lot whereas Molly's hasn't? :wacko:

My OH thought maybe a neighbour was feeding her but TBH I don;t have any near neighbours that like cats and neither Blue or Molly ever stray out of the garden.

Any ideas?

Thank you :flowers:

Hx

First thought is that she simply needs less food than her sister - we all have different metabolic rates and they sound as if they have a very sedentary lifestyle, so not going to be burning off much energgy, therefore if she has a slow metabolism, she's getting fat. Next thought is she could have an underactive thyroid, as weight gain is a symptom of that among other things. If it's thyroid, adding kelp and garlic to her diet would help it pick up.

Also could be something in the food that doesn't quite agree with her?

If she's perfectly healthy in all other ways, you could try reducing her food first and see what happens.

Obviously you'll need a vet to diagnose properly, but sadly thyroid testing is notoriously inaccurate, the test that really works is much more expensive I believe and I can't think of its name :rolleyes:

I have 4 cats. One, Sasha is extremely round and looks like she too has swallowed a football! She eats no more than the others, but is very lazy. We do try to encourage her to me more active, but it isn't easy!! I got Sash from a rescue and she was extremely thin, I put her size now down to contentment! She has been checked over by a vet and her heart, lungs, etc are fine and she rarely gets ill. I have accepted that she is what she is and happy too. Like humans, cats vary in size. If you are overly concerned why not get the vet to check her over? You could also try a reduced calorie food, however I must say I didn't have much luck, not easy trying to single one out when you have 4!

First thought is that she simply needs less food than her sister - we all have different metabolic rates and they sound as if they have a very sedentary lifestyle, so not going to be burning off much energgy, therefore if she has a slow metabolism, she's getting fat. Next thought is she could have an underactive thyroid, as weight gain is a symptom of that among other things. If it's thyroid, adding kelp and garlic to her diet would help it pick up.

Also could be something in the food that doesn't quite agree with her?

If she's perfectly healthy in all other ways, you could try reducing her food first and see what happens.

Obviously you'll need a vet to diagnose properly, but sadly thyroid testing is notoriously inaccurate, the test that really works is much more expensive I believe and I can't think of its name :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone and Muriel for your post above, which was very helpful. She seems very healthy. No problems other than her weight. I haven't changed their diet for years (poor cats) so think it's unlikely to be some sort of reaction. Might try adding some garlic though as you suggest as I always have some of that in the house.

I have an appointment for cat vax's in a weeks time, not for Blue (she's already had her Booster this year) but think I'll take her along for the vet to have a look at :)

Oo err Brenda, I see what you mean! :laugh: Sasha is a little pudding :wub: . Blue is not quite so big and beautiful but getting there....