UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

No Enamel On Teeth?

Allie No Dots

Has anyone else had this problem with pooches? Two pups we have rehomed (different litters not related at all and fostered and homed to different areas) Have both just been told they have no enamel on some of their teeth. One of the pups was born in our care and had everything she should have, altho her mum was vaxed during pregnancy (not by us) The other pup we have no idea of history before 6 weeks when we took him in.

Anyway, both have adult teeth now but no enamel on alot of them...why?! :unsure: :wacko:

I found these explanations online but other than that have no idea:

EH-enamel hypoplasia-a condition where is enamel is thin or absent Appears as areas of shiny enamel surrounded by opaque areas of dentin. In time, the opaque regions become stained a brownish color. In dogs, enamel hypoplasia is usually caused by a febrile disease, occurring before the animal is six months old as the enamel is forming.

Avoiding serious illnesses is important too – for many reasons, not just dental health. Teeth are covered in enamel, and the cells that produce enamel are sensitive to infections and fevers. If a puppy gets very ill while his adult teeth are developing, there may be bands of enamel missing or malformed on the teeth. Years ago, people would see brown bands on a dog’s teeth and say that he had “distemper teeth†as that disease was known for causing this defect.

Thank you :flowers: Neither dog has been ill that we know of (def not the girlie) altho did have a anesthestic and minor op which i guess could have caused similar effects as a fever and in turn the enamel? :unsure:

I know that the enamel can be affected if the mother has an infection while pregnant - it can in humans so I guess the same would apply for dogs :unsure: (Ceri's baby teeth were missing some enamel because of a virus I had while pregnant but his adult teeth are ok - so far).

It is very odd. Neither dogs vet can come up with anything either. Theres absolutley no similarities between the dogs either(other than they have all had the worming/vaxes ect they should have at the right time), They are on different food, live hundreds of miles away and no reported illness. Its bugging me now lol

• 4 weeks later...