UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Jack And Noise

Pendlewitch

Jack (JRT) is noise sensitive and has been ever since I got him, information from his previous owners does indicate that he has always had some sort of a problem but I did initially feel it had been created by his living conditions and his isolation, now I’m not so sure.

He has been a quite a lot better most of the summer, less reactive to noises in the distance and crows etc, but last week after a major incident with gunshots where we were in the middle of a field and suddenly there were guns going off virtually next door in the wood he has gone so far back I now never let him off the lead. On yesterdays walk he could hear heavy plant machinery moving about in the distance and was extremely disturbed and spooked by the sounds and they were a long way off. He’s also gone back to throwing himself on the floor which he does suddenly and constantly when walking, he’ll wriggle on his back for a few seconds then pops back up, next minute he’s on the floor again, I begin to feel this is also a stress reaction! :(

Other things are beginning to happen though, today I had to put him back in the car and leave him with the OH as he would not even walk on the lead he was so apprehensive, constantly trying to turn round and bolt, and that was when there were no noises of any sort! We had put a new phone in the kitchen which has had to be removed as he was not coping with the sound, it would send him into one of his stress fits, running up and down, yicking and licking the floor. I changed it to a flash instead of a ring, he was ok for the first one then panicked and stressed. I can’t let anyone out of the car before I switch off the engine because it does a door warning bleep which upsets him and if I accidentally leave the lights on it does a longer bleeping thing that sends him crazy. He’s back to over reacting to noises from the street, the noise of car doors being closed or people talking creates barking and running up an down the stairs and the crashing noise from the recycling collection sends him under the bed for a hour or more!

I begin to wonder if there is more to this than noise sensitivity and if there is maybe a neurological problem but how on earth would I investigate this further, by having a brain scan or something? (Jack not me hopfully). He really can’t go on like this, we are coming up to fireworks time and I have already had problems in that direction with early ones but I don’t know how to help him. Apart from all this he’s a great little dog with a dreadful sense of humour, he’s bolshy but happy and likes nothing better than to try annoy next door’s dog by running up and down the fence hurling insults. What he doesn’t know is that Kipper is deaf and doesn’t even notice Jack is there! :)

Anyone have thoughts or ideas please?

I'm sure you've probably thought of this but there's no chance he has a low-level inner ear infection is there? I only ask because I had one myself once, I didn't feel ill and wasn't conscious of any specific ear-ache but loud or high-pitched noises were extremely painful.

Other than that no ideas, I'm afraid, but I hope someone else will come up with something :GroupHug:

I'm no expert, but to me it does sound like he is extremely noise sensitive - it seems as though the guns have really set him back in the road to overcoming his fear, and it's going to take more time for him to get over it again. I'd take him to the vets and make sure there is nothing physically wrong with him, and maybe get a DAP plug in for the house and a spray for the car. Have you got one of those 'sounds scary' CDs? May be worth getting one and playing it at a really low volume to build his confidence back up again :flowers:

Thanks folks, will check out the ear infection idea. :flowers: I've tried the CD and can play it at full volume, non of them take the slightest notice of it but one whizzy bang thing from outside and Jack's off, they really do know the difference. The DAP didn't work in the kitchen, I think there are too many comings and goings to allow it to build up but will try the spray in the car. He seems to feel very safe in the car, he travels in a crate and it's his secure zone, would the DAP spray sort of carry on working for a while once he's outside? He is constantly on skullcap and valerian, and although I'm not sure how effective it is now I'm reluctant to stop it in case it is doing something and I unleash even more terrors for him.