UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Spondylosis

phoenix21

The vet thinks this is what molly has - which isnt a problem as such - shes 12 and is on green lipped mussel with glucosamine and denes greenleaf tablets at the minute. I did a search in google on spondylosis and came across a supplement called DGP - DogGone Pain.

DGP

I havent heard of it before - has anyone else used it and is it any good? Molly usally gets a lot worse in winter so just thinking ahead on what i can do to help her.

It's a new one to me too, went noseying to see what's in it - looks OK, but a little vague, they have a site too.

http://www.doggonepain.com/

Not trying to put you off, but there are other things too that you may want to look into as well. You gotta go with your gut as to what's right for your dog as you know her best and she's telling you what she needs. :wink:

I was going to copy some of this, but I'll just stick it all in and let you see what's of interest to you.........

What worked for my old lady dog was Runaround from Stock Nutrition, which is Green Lipped Mussel, Shark Cartilage, Vitamins C & E. Within 5 days on that, she was trotting a couple of miles, with no trace of a limp, having previously only been able to stagger to the end of the road on very shaky pins, where she was lying down to watch the traffic while on Metacam.

She was great on the Runaround for a couple of years. Then her legs got worse again and I added in Garlic, Greenleaf Tablets from Denes, Osteotrace tablets from ARONHA, got her a magnetic collar, used crystals – Blue Lace Agate to start with, and others, she also had Acupuncture for months, but I eventually stopped that and did acupressure on her myself after having been shown by an Acupuncturist how and where would be most beneficial.

These were all added in at various times as the need arose. She also latterly had Reiki which helped enormously and I believe gave her an extra 6 months with me. There are loads of natural products and therapies out there which I am sure would help enormously. The trick is, as ever, finding the right thing for YOUR dog, which is where your gut comes in – you’ll know what’s right.

Homeopathy can also work wonders. Hannah just didn’t want it, she preferred herbs etc.

The book which helped me a lot and sent me in various correct directions for Hannah is - Natural Healthcare for Pets by Richard Allport (available from the library). He covers a wide range of natural therapies and is based in Potters Bar, he’s one of the top Natural Vets.

Had I kept Hannah on Metacam, she would have been dead by 12 as the Vet prophesied, but once I changed her to natural treatments she was MUCH happier, healthier, fitter and had a much greater quality of life. She lived to 15 years and 6½ weeks!

Runaround is available from Stock Nutrition www.doghealth.co.uk Phone 08000 744302 They are very helpful.

Denes website is www.denes.com Phone 01273 325364 They also have a range of Factsheets which they will send out free of charge very quickly if you ask. They’re also very helpful.

I know Glucosamine can be great too.

Some other products I believe can be helpful are :

Mobileaze www.aviform.co.uk I know someone who has used this very successfully with her Weimaraners. Cortaflex

Synflex

Ease by Phytopet 01244 813162 email [email protected]

Deer Velvet www.velvetenergy.com

Copper Collars help some dogs, but obviously not at the same time as a magnetic one!

Fish oil can help too.

Vit C

Vit E

Apple Cider Vinegar

Hydrotherapy.............

Good luck with it, I'll send her some reiki if she'd like it.

ill try some of what suggested....in the past she has been on cortaflex, glucosamine, other supplements but seems to be doing ok at the min, she doesnt seem to fall over much any more just her back feet tend to buckle over and finds it difficult to go upstairs (she waits at the bottom with one paw on the first step then takes a couple of minutes before setting off up without stopping) but she tends to get worse in winter....i was also wondering about those memory foam beds do you think they would help?

i am going to look into hte garlic and osteotrace - and prob get some when i order the next batch of tablets :rolleyes: