UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Training Advice Needed

Doghouse

I have a young collie who will be a year old in a couple of weeks time. He does a perfect run up to and back from the box, the problem is that he has a very strong eye so wants to stop and stare at anything that moves! If he could do flyball on his own he would be perfect :)

Once his attention is on his tugger then I know he will definatly not stop and stare so I suppose what I really need is some tips on how do desensitise him to the other dogs.

I thought of putting him on a long line and having some one hold him while I call him and then get someone to hold another dog next to him and their handler call that dog so they run past each other in opposite directions then I could reel him in if he stops and stares. Do you think this will help?

Obviously he is only young so I have plenty of time to work with him, I am in no hurry to get him running as I have my hands full running a dog already.

We used to have this problem with Mad Mandy's dog Rye. We started to always train with 2 lanes at training, but separate them with a length of full height netting. This didn't stop Rye though, and one week at training, she decided to launch herself over the netting, but landed on her head (she was absolutely fine). Ever since then, she has decided it just isn't worth bothering with the other dogs, and to just go and get her ball and come back to her mum.

However, I'm not suggesting that you try dropping him on his head, as that would be cruel to purposely do that :mellow:

So, what might be an idea is to have the 2 lanes at training, but have them far apart and separated by the netting. Run the calmest flyball dogs you have in that lane, who will not make much noise to distract him and see whether that helps. When he does it right, really heavily reward with his tuggy.

When the other dogs are out, take him across the field and play fetch with him, so that the other dogs are there, but far away. Hopefully he'll soon learn that what you want him to do it much more fun than playing with the other dogs. Your recall on a long line idea wouldn't do any harm either :flowers:

Having said all that, I don't actually have a collie, so don't know the ins and outs of them as a collie owner would do. However, as you said, you are in no rush to get him to race, so just take your time with him, don't rush to get him racing when he isn't ready - he has his whole career ahead of him :flowers:

Thanks Gooster, the dropping on his head idea really made me laugh although obviously I won't be trying it :laugh: I dont really have much experience of Collies as this is the first one we have owned. Our other dogs are a GSD and a Collie X and they just did it without only minimal training so I have never had to deal with this problem before so any other tips would be appreciated :biggrin:

Gooster suggestion of playing with him across the other side of the field but still in sight of other dogs is a good one. We have used this to help dogs that were nervous or that get over excited by other dogs. When you have his attention on you and playing nicely with you, slowly move closer to the other dogs if you lose his attention at any point then move further away and start again.

Passing another dog going in the other direction sounds like a good Idea, we did some of this with Rye (the one that landed on her head) and I think it helped. Use your tuggie or a tennis ball (which ever is the most attractive to him) to get him to come past the other dog and to you, if he comes straight to you have a good play session with him.

As for doing Flyball, once he knows and is confident in what he is doing (i.e. going down to the box collecting the ball and coming back to you) Then I would gradully get him used to another dog in the other lane. At first wait until the other dog is just coming out of the other lane having completed his/her run before sending your dog to fetch his ball. When he is doing it ok like this try letting him go slightly early each time i.e. when the other dog is half way back up the lane.

These are only my thoughts and some one else might have some better ideas.

let us know how you get on.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would give you an update on how my boy is getting along. It is 2 months since I started this thread and in that time he has improved immensley. Today at training I was so proud of him because he did a run with things going on on either side of the lane and even better than that he did a lose change with the returning dog :biggrin: Up until last week he would chase the returning dog or try to nip it as it went past. We have entered a starter team at Markfield in January so hopefully he will be able to give it a go.

you sound like me

I have an old collie who eyeballs for britain

ive been trying to get her to run in a team format but the dog running towards her is just to much fun to eyeball

if she was on her own she would be perfect

ive come to the conclusion that shes almost 8 so it doesnt really matter i only took her to training for a bit of something to do