UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Needed

bobs mum

i need advice off people on how to deal with Scratchy`s behaviour

as some of you know shes a 12month old mastiff x, she sleeps in a crate, Bob has his own bed.

sometimes when shes asked to go in her bed or i take hold of her collar to put her in bed she will have a go at Bob, not just growling but really kick off with him and i have to either get inbetween them or pull Scratch off him. this has happen twice this week with one occurance about half an hour ago.

anybody got any advice please :)

thanks in advance :)

Edited by bobs mum

Reading between the lines, it sounds like she's uncomfortable being aksed to go to bed (maybe she was sent to bed as punishment before you got her? or perhaps you give the command too firmly for her?) and to have her collar grabbed, because of the relationship she's got with you she wouldn't use aggression on you so she takes it out on Bob.

The collar thing is easy, desensitise her to having her collar held. Introduce a touch=reward system, (basically touch her collar then reward) so she starts to like the idea of being touched, and then gradually build up to holding the collar. You could have two treat pots at different points in the room, and once she's ok being held by the collar, you can lead her to one pot and treat, then lead her to the other and treat etc, so being led by her collar is a good thing. Generalise it in different areas of the house, and always make leading her that way rewarding in the end.

With the bed, you might need to retrain the whole thing, start by moving the bed so it's a different association (buy a new one if funds allow) and keep it near you. Pop a lead on, ask her to settle (use a different command if you can) and get her to lie down (positive methods only!) and reward her when she's settled with strokes and praise (calming voice) so settling becomes a positive thing.

Oh, and make sure Bob isn't around when you're training the new situations just in case!

Move bob first so hes not nearby? :unsure:

if bobs not already in his bed she will growl and bark at him as he walks past her

thanks joc :) she doesnt normally mind when you hold her collar or touch her i think its a dominance thing

theres not much room in my dining room to change the beds around(her cage is 42inch)

will try the method you advised although when they both hear the sound of the leads they go bananas :laugh: