UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Joggers And Cyclists

Guest Vikinggirl

Guest Vikinggirl

Very quickly picked up that Lucy didn't like joggers or cyclists, so did best to avoid, put obstacles in the way etc etc.

Read in lots of books that this is quite common in terrier breeds. However, Lucy is getting worse and her absolute determination to get to them and her snarl that has become quite horrid when she sees them worries me greatly.

Anyone who knows Lucy will tell you she is a great big softie otherwise. I don't really know what to do. I thought of looking for a 1:1 session with a trainer, but that will be after my hols so therefore another month away, so wondered if anyone can help in the interim please? Suggestions or advice most gratefully received, thanks :flowers:

Very quickly picked up that Lucy didn't like joggers or cyclists, so did best to avoid, put obstacles in the way etc etc.

Read in lots of books that this is quite common in terrier breeds. However, Lucy is getting worse and her absolute determination to get to them and her snarl that has become quite horrid when she sees them worries me greatly.

Anyone who knows Lucy will tell you she is a great big softie otherwise. I don't really know what to do. I thought of looking for a 1:1 session with a trainer, but that will be after my hols so therefore another month away, so wondered if anyone can help in the interim please? Suggestions or advice most gratefully received, thanks :flowers:

Hiya, I trained a little border terrier x with good results last year, he chased bicycles and joggers :rolleyes:

I'd agree, best thing is a one to one trainer - you and your dog need to be assessed preferably in the place where the problem occurs. The training may (should) be a mix of working on the emotions (called classical conditioning) (so may be say, desensitising him to bikes) and training - commands such as Leave, recall, etc.

I did some fab exercises to teach dogs to leave, if you do it all reward based, the dog wants to leave to get his higher reward, which you will need to have ready for him :biggrin:

Try www.apdt.co.uk or www.apbc.org.uk for starters, avoid anyone who is not a member of a reputable association. Try to ensure they have a good understanding of how dogs learn (in modern terms, not ancient ones) and actual hands on training, this kind of trainer should be very good. Good luck! :flowers:

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with Gyp (just joggers tho), she even nipped one jogger :ohmy:

For everyones safety including hers, I got a muzzle for her whilst working on the problem.

Every time I saw a jogger, I'd call her back and treat her, make her sit and treat her just as the jogger passed. Eventually, joggers would run past within feet of her and she didn't react at all. It did take some months to get it under control, but she no longer does it and the best thing is, she no longer wears the muzzle.

Good luck. :)

000_0017.jpg

100_1530.jpg