UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kiera Was A Star Today!

BillyMalc

I've been posting in here a good few times, asking for advice on how to deal with a very headstrong canine teenager, who I didn't understand. And I have to admit, this spring we did not get along one little bit and I was seriously considering looking for a more experienced home for her. I just did not think that my skills and experience as a dog carer were good enough to give her what she needs.

But time went on, a new boyfriend came into her life, and she's really started to mature. Her recall has improved, and I've become more clued up on what to do if she does fall back into her teenager tricks.

Today we went out with a whole group of Fugees: one.eyed.dog, millimoo, jackysian and cheryl33 were all there with their canine comanions, 9 of them all together. We went for a really nice long walk and then on to a rescue's open day with dog shows, and we entered in the 'Most contented Rescue Dog' category, our first ever. And, believe it or not, we came 4th! She was doing so well, being really interested in what was going on around her, but at the same time paying attention to me and doing 'sits' and 'finishes' when asked, when I noticed that she was getting a bit bored with the standing around waiting bit.

She was well knackered after that, but we went on to another walk and again she was amazing!!! I've never seen her so good and responsive for such a long period of time ever!

Only time will tell whether we've turned a corner or if it was a one-off, but right now I'm ever so proud of her and thought I'd share that with you! :)

From what I saw Billy, Kiera absolutely adores you! She was of course slightly befuddled by the noise and madness that is our lot but she was attentive and interested in you! My lot lose all sight of 'mum' (okay except Sidney who's main focus in life is 'mum with toy') but Kiera always had one eye on you! You've definately done a great job with her, she's a real credit to your commitment! She was respectful of the other (less shy) dogs .....otherwise known as the 'Tw*t twins' :laugh: !! And she knew where her boundries were with them all! I think she did brilliantly!! Can't wait to meet up again, really sorry Malc couldn't come with you but hopefully he'll be able to come to a less stressful walk soon. :biggrin:

Awww thank you! :blush02:

Jackie, I'm not sure if her 'adoration' wasn't part insecurity, she did seem a bit like a fish out of water sometimes what with the whole noisy pack, none of which she'd met before. She's always a bit more 'interested' in me when she's not on home ground! :rolleyes: Still, I'm so glad with what does seem like a big giant leap forward! :)

Carrying on from yesterday's high, I've taken the 'chuck-it' on our walks again, to throw her some really far balls. It almost seemed like she had to remember how to play it - grabbing ball and then bringing it back to me for another go - but this afternoon she was back to her old form. Then I tried something out which I've not done in months and months: I quietly let Malcolm off while we were playing ball - he looked so pissed off having to stand around with me, watching Kiera going after this "flying object". Granted, Malcolm also had the wisdom to quietly potter off and not do a "hurray, we're off!" race half around the field, but the point is that Kiera stayed with me to play ball, with an occasional glance towards Mal, but that was it. Before she would of completely ignored me, and pounce on him to show him "the ball that he can't have coz it's hers" - and he don't want anyway :rolleyes: . I'd more or less resigned myself to never be able to let them off together, so I was totally over the moon about yet another step forward! I love my little cheeky girl! :) :wub: