UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Monitor Problem Or Something Else?

ReikiAnge

The flat screen monitor on Rob's PC has gone funny this morning. He was using the computer ok and then he went to click onto a MySpace profile and the monitor started flickering on and off. It's doing this rhythmically <sp> and you can just about make out the screen for a second but there's not enough time to click on anything. We tried shutting it all down and rebooting it and it boots up ok and goes to the bit where he'd normally click on the username bit to log on (we can just about see this through the flickering but can't actually click on anything).

He says the AVG thing is up to date. We're hoping the monitor has just had it and it's not a virus. Has anyone experienced this before? Anyone know if it's more likely to be a monitor problem or a virus? We've tried fiddling with monitor connections etc. and that all seems fine. Would a virus affect the monitor in this way? I'm hoping the fact that the PC boots up ok as far as we can see, means it's a monitor-only problem.

The fact he clicked on a MySpace account when it went funny did ring alarm bells as I gather there have been viruses on MySpace. He only clicked onto the page, not onto any links within it. However I did go to check something on his computer the other day and the monitor did go a little strange then and wouldn't let me move to an excel sheet on there. I turned the monitor off and on again and it was ok then. I'm hoping that meant the monitor was starting to go then and it has just been finished off this morning. It's only 3-4 years old.

We're going to get another new monitor today as Rob needs the computer for his work - and hope it is the monitor and not the PC. When a 15" monitor is mentioned, is that the measurement for the whole front of the monitor, or just the actual display bit :unsure:

Thanks for any ideas :flowers:

I had the cunning idea earlier of keeping the PC turned off and turning just the monitor on to see what happened. The screen was flickering in the same way, I could make out the "power save" thing coming up but the monitor was behaving in the same way as when the PC was turned on. It seems likely therefore that this is a monitor issue rather than a compter one :biggrin: Unfortunately Currys are out of stock of the monitor we want but will hopefully have some more tomorrow :)

I take it you did try to power it up with the signal cable unplugged from the PC, most monitors will give a 'no signal' message when you do? Does it have a seperate power unit or do you plug a kettle type mains lead straight into it? It sounds like the switch mode power supply has a fault and is resetting when it powers up, easy to check if it's external and you know someone with a volt meter, it should be straight forward enough to replace if it is faulty. If it's internal it's not quite so easy.

Paul