UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dougal Is Odd.

Sherlock Bones

Dougal is my 11ish Lhasa Apso. I usually describe him as nice but dim. He doesn't seem to have a brain, you see, never has. Just likes to make everyone happy, that's his total aim in life.

Anyway he's been fine in terms of health (apart from misssing the brain)... and last week had his annual health check and booster: no problems. He's had a grade 2 heart murmer since i've owned him (since he was 2), with no problems associated with it an no medication.

A couple of days later Dougal had a run in with naughty Meg and got a pierced ear for his troubles. Nothing nasty, it scabbed and no problems since, although when it happened he shook his head for a couple of days, it obviously hurt.

Then, on Friday he started acting odd... he kept going in the garden and sitting in the flower border. For ages... hours. Then it started raining and he still sat in the border and I had to drag him in. When in he sat and shook. Saturday he did the same thing...Sunday a repeat and yesterday the plumber who is working here all day said he thought he'd lost Dougal but found him outside in the pouring rain, just sitting, so he sat stroking him there and eventually had to leave him just sitting. At that point I made a vet appointment. This morning he was sat outside under the garden bench shivering.

He's eating well, he's active, he's not coughing and he's still dougal begging for a chocolate biscuit.. but he's not "being" dougal. He still recognises me and responds to commands (well he understands come, dougal, and sit which are the only commands he ever learnt)

The vet said he had no temperature and the ear is fine and he has no infection in his ears... so he's guessed at senility and given us Vivitonin. We have a 10 day course to see what happens and if nothing happens we'll try instead a new heart drug, even though his heart murmer is no different.

Now... firstly he's 11 - could he really go senile so young (bearing in mind he is like pooh, with little brain...), is Vivitonin safe long term - i can't find anything online about side effects - and does anyone else have any thoughts? I'm at a loss! I sound like I don't believe my vet... but... well he's guessing as much as me! Could this be linked to his booster? He's had annual boosters since I've owned him with no problems. Anyone?

Edited by Sherlock Bones

I'm afraid I'd suspect a reaction to the booster, and an allopathic vet will not even accept that is a possibility. If he was mine, I'd talk to a homeopathic vet before starting him on any more drugs. To find one, try here

http://www.bahvs.com/

http://www.trusthomeopathy.org/trust/tru_over.html

I'd also get some Bach Flower Essence Crab Apple as that helps release toxins from the system and can do no harm. 4 drops 4 times daily on a bit of bread or other treat. From some chemist/health food stores or online from www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk You can safely give that until you talk to a homeopathic vet.

It just seems a bit odd that 'senility' should start as suddenly and right after a booster. Normally senility is gradual in onset.

I'll send Reiki if he wants it, let us know how you get on.

Muriel,

Reiki would be great, if you can.

I thought it odd (no pun intended) that it has come on so suddenly too. I'll order the crab apple bach you mention and try that on him.

This morning he was back out under the bench, but came in the minute I called him.

The problem I have with not vaccinating is that I use kennels regularly... this may present me with a huge problem (though obviously not this year).

I thought of that - but he's perfectly normal around Meg and Cassie and this isn't the first time they've had a spat and to be honest Dougal can really hold his own around Meg and can warn her away with a look if needs be... and he isn't running away from her, he's just simply going out for a wee as such and then wandering into the borders and sitting... almost like he's decided that the garden is far nicer and sunnier than the house... it's wierd.

Can't be the bath in the dining room - it's still there - although I actually don't have a bathroom at all any more just a bucket (honestly!) - but this behaviour started before the bathroom went! :laugh: