UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Jealous Dog?

alexis

Charlie is an only dog and plays well with other dogs. She has on a few occasions defended herself when a young staffie pup has come up to her, humped her a lot and ignored her warning growl or when he runs up to her and just launches himself at her throat and bites. She has never injured another dog.

She has a friend called Cassie who she regularly plays with.

She had some surgery in March and since then hasn' t been off lead much or mixed much with other dogs other than to say hello whilst on the lead which has been fine.

IN the park the other night my OH went to stroke her friend Cassie and Charlie went for Cassie snarling and growling and caught cassie's tongue ( she has an overlong tongue which doesn't fit in her mouth) which bled a little.

OH told Charlie off and that was it.After that they walked round the park on lead and then off lead together quite happily.

Did charlie do this out of jealousy? How should I try and avoid it happening again?

It's hard to say without seeing the dog in action I'm afraid. Cassie may just have 'looked at her funny' and Charlie decided to put her in her place. Tongues do bleed easily and often look worse than they are.

However, I'd be wary of telling a dog off for this sort of behaviour, as they can make a connection between the presence of another dog and the owners displeasure, which can then encourage them to see other dogs off :(

To avoid it happening again, try and keep an eye on Charlie, and keep her attention on you, don't let her make eye contact with other dogs.