UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anything Else I Should Be Doing?

yup - me again, two dogs so each gets their own special post :glare:

Finn (estimated 5year old neutered BC with some issues from previous life, been with me about 2 and a half years now) has a number of ongoing challenges, the biggy right now being sound sensitivity.

Previously we discovered he was reactive to thunder, lightening, loud rain, bangs of any kind and sound of footballs being kicked. We worked on the thunder and fireworks etc very successfully with desensitisation and reconditioning.

Long story but a variety of things happening all at once resulted in a resurgence of the thunder fears and these spread over onto low flying jets which we get multiple times every day here in York.

His coping strategies for any noise stress are:

panting

pacing repetitively

obsessive checking of the house

if lying still being super alert including not sleeping much when bad

If closed out of rooms he will jump to open them repeatedly damaging the frame etc

If closed into a couple of rooms he has chewed part of the door frame, door, plaster and steel corner, on another occaison a large part of a wooden door and carpet

We have not had success with desensitisation to the thunder this time, I suspect because the fear has generalised so widely.

We are trying:

- homeopathy with a fab vet

- acupuncture and acupressure with same vet and treatment at home from me

- other energy therapies for both him and me

- rescue remedy in water

- TTouch bands and wraps

- TTouch, also hoping to see another practitioner in a week or so

- food to distract including raw bones etc (can't focus for long enough to eat kongs, difficult to give good bones since I can't close him into rooms suitable for bloody mess of bones)

- training to distract and reset - sometimes works but not long term and obviously still distressed when I'm not there

- talking to vet about melatonin

We are due back to the vet this Wednesday coming after a particularly awful weekend to talk over our options and if you guys can suggest anything else I would be incredibly grateful. And even if you don't knowing that I've asked helps me too!

Aside from the fact that he is obviously distressed for a large part of most days (and we have been working with this issue for about 6-7 months now) it also has a knockon effect to his back/leg pain (no known pathology) and his reactivity to people and dogs.

Mog

xxx

Hi Mog, good to see you :flowers:

I have no advice or information I'm afraid just wanted to lend my support. None of mine are bothered by noise - they just wind me up by barking at low level noises such as neighbours opening their front door :rolleyes:

Hope you find something to help Finn soon :flowers: