UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Competition Prize Of *a Night At The Dogs*

Yeti

Crossposted (I hope this is OK) - Please write to complain

Unbelievably Granada News are running a competition, the prize is a night at the dogs at Bellevue. I think they need to be dissuaded.

This is the information you need in order to complain:

Please make it clear which programme you are complaining about. (13.25 Granada Regional News 27th July)

Duty Office

Gas Street

Birmingham

B1 2JT

email [email protected] and [email protected] (email both addresses please)

Tel: 0870 600 6766

Fax: 0121 634 4898

Minicom: 0870 241 6346

Monday to Friday:

08:00 - 23:00

Saturdays and Sundays:

10:00 - 22:00

Closed on Bank Holidays.

--------------------

If it helps, this is what I sent in an e-mail:

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to make a complaint against the Granada Regional News of 27th July, at 13.25.

I understand that this programme is running a competition for which the prize is a night at the dog track (Bellevue).

I would like to refer you to the current situation regarding the slaughter of thousands of greyhounds as reported in the Sunday Times on 16th July in an article aptly entitled "Killing field of the dog racing industry" (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2272307,00.html).

As reported in the article, each year many thousands of dogs simply disappear when their racing career is over. Others are mutilated to prevent authorities being able to trace the trainer/owner and then dumped. A dogs racing career may end at the age of two, certainly by five years old. A greyhound has a natural lifespan of twelve to fourteen years, yet only a very small percentage of the estimated 30,000 plus dogs bred each year eventually find their way into a home where they can live out their life.

And this does not take into account the animals deemed not good enough to race. Many of these, because they will not make money for thier owners, suffer a similar fate.

Government Offices together with animal welfare organisations are investigating the abuses carried out within the Greyhound Racing industry as a result of the article mentioned above.

I have personal experience of the results of such abuses within the industry, working with rescue orgainisations who find homes for animals who are disposed of because they are no longer making money for the owner or trainer. The reality is that the industry is founded on expoitation of animals without due regard for their well being. I refer you to the Greyhound Action website (www.greyhoundaction.co.uk), were there are many documented cases of abuse and cruelty by the industry.

I therefore respectfully suggest that this prize should not be offered by Granada, particularly given the current situation with Greyhound Racing industry, and ask in the strongest possible terms that an alternative prize be given.

Thank you for attention to this matter, and I look forward to hearing that that the prize no longer involves any association with the Greyhound Racing industry.

Yours faithfully,

Apparently the competition has been pulled!!!! :partytime: :circle:

See how powerful we can be! Now, what's next......ah yes, Greyhound racing in its entirety. :mad:

This is brilliant news.

As you say Wendy, together, we can make it happen.........

Edited to say: just read the other thread on this subject; so looks like they didn't pull it after all.

Edited by Gill (Northampton)