UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Securityrisk.navhelper

LisaLQ

Kathy told me to post here as she knows you're all fab with computers, and mine has gone wonky.

As of yesterday, after my 8yr old daughter had been on the computer (hmm she says she didn't do anything though!), my computers started freezing. It'll let you open things, but you cant click anything (links, crosses to close the window, etc etc), even when right clicking the little box comes up but you cant click on the options. I'm having to restart my computer or cntrl-alt-del a few times to get it to come back.

Did a virus scan, and it's bringing up SecurityRisk.NavHelper (several of), my Avast says it's moved to the chest, my spyware removal thing from Microsoft has changed into Microsoft Defender, which is saying there's nothing there. Did a Symantec scan and it brought up SecurityRisk.NavHelper, there's no option to remove it there now without buying Norton, which I cant do as it wont run on my computer. Did a Trend Micro scan and it was the same, erm...what else...well basically, my computer's still doing the freezing thing, there's no change. Oh just remembered, we did a sytem restore too but that didn't work, deleted cookies and temp files, and even the IE history.

Dont know if it's connected, but my mouse (wireless) keeps bringing up the on screen scrolly arrow thing it does if you press a certain button, but I'm not pressing it, so lord knows why it's doing that.

Anyhoooo....anyone know what's going on? Could it be something else doing this, or is it the SecurityRisk.NavHelper? :wacko:

It's malaware....

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-99&tabid=3

I know you dont have Norton so ignore the bit that tells you how to clear their security logs, instead find the instructions on how to clean Avast on their website.

Make sure you make a copy of the registry if you do have to go in and make changes there.

You may also need to clear the restore points from XP as that would merely restore the pc to it's current infected state.

Thanks everyone - luckily for us it turned out to be the mouse, one of the kids must have dropped it, and since swapping it for a corded one, the crashing and silly scroll thing have stopped. Fingers crossed that's the end of it!

Avast scanned my computer again, and it's clear ;D