UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mrs B Rows The English Channel!

Helly

Ok Ok not literally, but all the training and effort she has put in will equate to there and back before the big day.....

Mrs B says......

Think “Rowing Regatta”, think blue water, sunshine, floaty dresses and hats, think fit hunky males ………………… then think Concept 2 rowing machines and chunky me. :biggrin:

The Company that I work for has held its own national “Rowing Regatta” for the last two years with entry to heats dependent on age, sex, and fitness. Last year I entered for the first time, as a female unfit over 40 year old – so in my class I had to row 500 metres.

The photographs below are proof that I did do it, that I looked a complete twit, and that a red face and purple top create a colour clash!

row03.jpg

row05.jpg

http://www.wiccaweys.co.uk/gallery/mrsb/Scan001.pdf

Please also note that, as far as :blush02: goes, this competition is held in the Works Canteen, on a site of around 2,000 folks, with males in the majority, and it is therefore ultra :blush02: :blush02:

So, I am entering again this year, with my heat being held on Thursday, 24th September. This year I am hoping that you will make this all the more bearable for me, by entering a “Guess the Time it will take Mrs B to Row 500 metres” Competition to raise funds for Wiccaweys Rescued Border Collies and Working Sheepdogs and the Dogstar Foundation.

Entry costs are £2.00 for 1 guess; £5.00 for 3 guesses, £10.00 for 7 guesses.

Nearest guess wins a box of my home made cakes, freshly baked and posted to you. The winner will be consulted on any dislikes they have, so don’t worry if the thought of chocolate turns you green.

You choose whether you wish to support Wiccaweys, Dogstar Foundation or both. Payment referencing “Mrs B’s Rowing Compeition” can be made through their PayPal accounts as follows:

Dogstar - [email protected]

Wiccaweys - [email protected]

Please then e-mail me a copy of your PayPal receipt, (if you go to my Profile, you can send me an e-mail from there) marked clearly “Rowing Competition”, stating the times you want for your “guesses”, and we will keep this thread updated with all the times selected. Times should be given in minutes : seconds (1-59) : tenths of a second (0-9)

To help with your guessing, here are some statistics:

My time in 2008 – 2 minutes, 5 seconds, 5 tenths of a second (2.05.5)

Winning times from the ten heats in my category in 2008 ranged from 1:57.5 to 2:33.0

Winning time for the Final in my category in 2008 – 1:54.9

World record time for my sex/age/weight for this distance – 1:38.8

Joker information: Between last year and this year, I have, in rowing terms, moved from being a Heavyweight to a Lightweight. Heavyweights obtain faster rowing times than Lightweights. But maybe I’m healthier, fitter and therefore faster. :laugh:

Self assessment: I will be unable to “just finish” the row. There is something in me that makes this into an “all or nothing” event, so I will definitely be busting a gut on the competitive front!

No further information as to my health, fitness, weight, injuries or abilities will be divulged between now and 24th September. :biggrin:

The rows are all electronically timed, and a certificate presented, which will be used to determine the winner.

As I am not allowed a camera on site, I have just obtained special permission for someone from the relevant department to come and take photos of the action.

And, Ambassador Sirius from the Dogstar Foundation will be in attendance, ensuring fair play, and taking charge of my water bottle.

If, for reasons of flood, fire, pestilence or other calamity I am not able to row on this date, I have made arrangements with a local Gym for a 500 metre row to be completed, which will be electronically timed, independently witnessed, and the time from that row will be used to determine the winner of this “Guess the Time” competition.

I would very much appreciate any support given to this event.

This fund raising idea has been created in agreement with Wiccaweys and Dogstar, and permission for it to be posted on the Refuge has been obtained.

Testimony from some of our cake eaters, raving about Mrs B's cakes :biggrin:

"Many years ago, a large cake manufacturer made the statement "We make exceedingly good cakes", and they did and still do. However, I have since found Mrs B who, within the confines

of her own kitchen makes "blooming brilliant cakes".

Mrs B works like a Trojan making and baking" Cake Heaven". If you ever have the good fortune to visit her at home, you will be met by the most wonderful culinary aromas! Her repertoire

is endless She produces the best traditional fruit cake I have ever eaten, and can move on to produce other more "exotic" cakes in the blink of an eye. She can also accommodate

personal special requests at the drop of a hat

My fifteen year old son will demolish several of her cakes within minutes of me bringing them home and according to him "Mrs B's Country Kitchen" should be renamed to

"Mrs B Bakes Brilliantly". The Curtis family are true fans of Mrs B, we wait with anticipation to see what culinary delights she produces next :)......

I personally did a cake test and when my mars bar cake arrived, my staff decended on it like a plague of locusts. im told it was very good!

If anyone has any queries, please ask away.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. :flowers: Glad that my pain will all be in a good cause or two.

:unsure: I'll sponsor you once I've worked out the maths for a likely time :laugh:

I have to say that I think that your mathematical calculations may be as good as any guess I could make just now. :laugh:

I will be sponsoring you :flowers:

Like Zico's mum I need to do some mathematical calculations first which considering I only got a grade 5 CSE in maths will be quite a feat. Grade 5 was the lowest attainable score and was basically given for just turning up for the exam :laugh:

Later gator

Sam, please tell Mr Green that I don't care who plays the "guess the time" competition - I am less than proud of who they think they are supporting - and also suspect that they have no interest at all in what pain I will be going through to get to the end of this row.

Just extricate their dosh from their pockets - or ask Mark to do so - or send Di over to explain how they want to be parted from their money.

Sam, please tell Mr Green that I don't care who plays the "guess the time" competition - I am less than proud of who they think they are supporting - and also suspect that they have no interest at all in what pain I will be going through to get to the end of this row.

Just extricate their dosh from their pockets - or ask Mark to do so - or send Di over to explain how they want to be parted from their money.

Mr Green has pledges of £ 10 from his workmates and they will be submitting the guesses shortly

Mr Green has pledges of £ 10 from his workmates and they will be submitting the guesses shortly

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Tell Mr Green to keep up the good work.

Ten guesses will only take up one second's worth (in tenths of a second guesstimates) of possible rowing times. So there's plenty of chances for a few more folks to play the guessing game. :D

I may have booked the time slot for my row. :ph34r_anim:

• 4 weeks later...

Best of luck tomorrow Mrs B :flowers:

Oops upside your head

I said............

:laugh:

Thanks for the "good lucks" everyone - I may just need them!

1.30 pm tomorrow is the magic "hour" (well, here's hoping it really isn't an hour) and all "guesses" must be in by 1.00 pm.

Will try not to do too much Oops inside your head - think that pace may be a tad too stead. :biggrin:

Mrs Squirrel will be posting evidence that "I did it" tomorrow for me.

Firstly apologies for not having given all the gorey boring fascinating details of my rowing on Thursday before now - year end is approaching at work, and year on year it seems to cause people to go into a manic meltdown to an increasing degree!

A few boring bits before we come to Thursday. As you know (or if you don't you do now), last year I rowed my 500 metres in 2:05.5 - and then I settled back into doing no training at all - until the Challenge was announced at work again this year. So on 3rd August I rowed my 500 metres again, and achieved 2:07.4 - as I'd moved from heavyweight to lightweight (not that any allowance is made for this in this competition, but normally heavyweights and lightweights row in different competitions, 'cause heavyweights are faster), I was already at a disadvantage, and on no training I was not unhappy - but set out to train to the extent that was allowed for this competition, in this class - an hour a week. I was more than ably assisted by a colleague who does athletics training and coaching, but who was also doing this competition, who prepared a training programme for me.

Yep, anyone who decided I was in secret training was absolutely correct.

There is a surprising amount you can do in an hour a week, when this is taken up with interval training and the like. I frequently wondered "why" I was doing this, but the promise of pennies coming in to Wiccaweys and the Dogstar Foundation did help keep me focussed.

And so on 11th September, I rowed my 2nd 500 metres - 2:03.9. :partytime: I was now officially faster than last year, and had improved by a whole 3.5 seconds since the beginning of August.

The last part of training was being tackled, and the guy who set the programme started to say "you'll be under 2 minutes on the day". "No way" says Mrs B - an improvement of another 4 seconds - I think that's a bit :ohno02:

And the day of the Challenge dawned. The condemned woman ate a hearty breakfast of an extremely huge bowl of porridge - partly because last year I kept little food down on the day of the race, and I really didn't fancy rowing my socks off on an empty stomach. Arrived at work, passing the Canteen where the punishment was to take place, sat at my desk - first sign, I had "gone off" coffee. Water, water, and yet more water. Went off to watch a "new friend" race - fit lass doing the 1,000 metres. Back to stirring paperwork, and having my "trainer" say "you WILL go under 2 minutes" - then off to watch one of my department do the 1,000 metres - lesson - do not think you can go to the Gym the night before and do a heavy workout, do no rowing practice and expect to find the 1k "easy" - he made it - but I shouted at him lots. :laughingsmiley:

And some seriously bad news. The first two heats around the country at my level had been won with 2:13.7 and 2:09.6, so I knew that, short of serious cramp or some disaster, I was on for that. Now the top time for my heat in Lincoln was showing at 2:00.01 - I had NEVER rowed that fast!

Lunch time was approaching - managed half a sandwich, off to my Gym to get changed and do a warm up there, then straight over to the Canteen - walked in - and just about everyone I had "invited" to watch me, plus a couple of lasses who were competing who I'd just come to know, had all turned up to watch me - it was my intention to have an audience - nothing better than not letting yourself down in front of an audience I've decided!

Another warm up, and this was the point at which it became impossible to put this horrible thing off any longer. As I took up the handle, my hands were shaking so much that I was having serious doubts as to what was going to happen when I actually set off! My "trainer" was situated in the region of my left ear (I believe this is called coxing!), and the screen came up, Ready ..... Attention (on the way out maybe?) ....... Row!

I have to be honest and say that much of the next part was a blur. I had a definite race plan in my head (sorry, this is another boring technical bit) - set off sub 2 minute pace, perhaps 1.55, but being careful not to go too fast or I'd burn out, for 125 metres, sub 2 minutes to 250 metres, begin to flag and hurt and go over 2 minute pace, but try like mad to keep it as near as 2 minutes as possible whilst wondering why on earth I was doing this to myself, hit the final 100 metres, downhill all the way (funny water in Lincolnshire you know) and go for bust, I mean broke, I mean .......... well, you know what I mean!

My "trainer" had had other ideas and wanted me to set off at 1:50 to 1:55, and as the target was now 2.00.1, I knew that my only chance of winning was to go sub 2 minutes all the way - part of the problem being that the first four strokes until you get going at pace are always below race pace so drag the total time down.

I was struggling with the screen on my machine - I am used to a full screen set up in a particular way to suit me - but for the race it was fixed to a split screen, and I couldn't focus on the information I needed about timings, strokes, and everything else, and was following the voice in my ear! Not to mention an awful lot of shouting and encouraging behind that!

I kept being told that I was inside 2 minutes - did I believe it - not really, I was convinced I couldn't be going 4 seconds faster than I ever had, and kind of thought I was being told something to keep me going. And boy was it hurting.

That was it, the metres were showing "0" at last, and I had absolutely no idea at all of how I had done. I'd seen 2:00 something on the screen on my machine, but that was it, and I had far more interest in glugging down some water and getting my feet out of the wretched foot straps. Then I looked up at the big screen on the wall - 1:58.1 - I seriously just couldn't believe it - I felt like one of those athletes who suddenly realises they've won a gold medal and a world record - in fact I kept thinking I'd mis-read it, and that perhaps it was 1:59.1 or something.

Even the guy who trained me who has said he really did think I would go sub 2 minutes on the day, has now said he thought it would be just under and didn't think I would be that fast.

So, a serious case of floating on air for me, and a belief that doing the "Rowing Song" at the Wiccaweys Show (for any who saw it or heard about it!) must have been just the extra training I needed to get that magic time.

My "trainer", needless to say, made it to the top of his heats at the end of the day, making it look completely effortless - and then cycled home!

And there's more.

Having won my heat, I have now been invited to the Finals in Bristol at the end of October, when I will be up against the fastest person in each of ten other heats which have been held, or are being held around the country in the next couple of weeks. An all expenses paid weekend for myself and Mr B ........... except Mr B has to work that weekend :mecry: I think that Mr B has realised that I will be going on my own come what may though ......... not that I have any competitive streak in me you understand!

Many, many thanks to all of you who played "Guess the Time" - I'm always pleased to do what I can to raise any money at all for Wiccaweys and Dogstar to support the amazing work they both do - I know that only small amounts have been raised, but know every small amount adds up to help you. And special thanks to Helly on here for helping me with posting various things, and, for encouraging me lots and lots and lots behind the scenes as well. And as far as the English Channel goes, Diane appears to know much more than she's letting on about this training lark, as I did indeed row across the English Channel, and I will certainly arrive back this week, having actually rowed 70,961 metres since the beginning of August!

And the winner of my Guess the Time Competition is Yantan with their guess of 1:59.7 who will win my box of cakes - although I have serious concerns at the moment about postal difficulties, so need to do some checking into that before anything perishable goes in the post.

Oh, and, there were a couple of photos taken, although the photographer has said that it was all over before they had managed to set themselves up properly :grrr: They are seriously bad, one in particular, however I'm hoping they will be posted here today.

And as for Sirius. Well, what can I say? I think he was nobbled and someone warned him that this Rowing Regatta lark was more about serious pain and exertion than Pims and polite conversation, so he found some convenient parcel to hide behind in some Sorting Office or other. However, in a fit of self confidence, I did arrange with Dogstar to put in a secret booking for him for the last weekend in October, the weekend of the Finals in Bristol, so I am hoping he will come and spur me on to even greater things then - and Sirius, you now have five weeks to get yourself into shape for this - if I can do it, anyone can!

And I guess that's it for now folks - training begins in earnest tomorrow for the Finals.