UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Would Any Rescue In The South West

vonny

Rehome a dog to an 83 year old.

My widowed Mum is nearly 84 and has severe arthritis but is able to remain independant.

At the moment her constant companion is an 11 year old GSD who is very ill and not likely to last the week.

We know that she is going to be absolutely distraught and will want another dog.

She loves big dogs but we are trying to convince her that this is not sensible and a smaller dog would be a better idea.

The set up is she is in a house with a walled in secure yard.

She is home apart from shopping trips.

But due to her health she can only walk with a stick,and would only be able to provde occasional short walks around the street.

She also cannot travel any distance to meet a dog as she is too uncomfortable.

The dog would be loved and spoilt but would have to be happy to be basically a house dog.

We cannot help with exercising as we are all to far away and I am not convinced that she would trust a Dog walker with her dog.

So are there any Rescues that would let her adopt a dog in these circumstances.

Not a rescue by any means but this sounds like a good home for an elderly smaller dog - Yorkie,Lhasa etc that would be more than happy pottering around a garden and the occasional walk as and when she can manage.Wouldn't suit all dogs of course but I'm sure there would be a dog suitable out there - what about a dog with limited sight? Hope you can succesfully find a companion for your mum,she's going to miss her GSD :(

Can't remember the exact name but on the Oldies Site is an elderly female staffie who does not like going for walks at all, just wants to potter in the garden..

If there was backup for if mum is ill that dog and your mum could be a good match!

Can't remember the exact name but on the Oldies Site is an elderly female staffie who does not like going for walks at all, just wants to potter in the garden..

If there was backup for if mum is ill that dog and your mum could be a good match!

Do you mean Molly, she suffers from SA too, and she is simply gorgeous, just a bit frail bless her

am trying to convince an older lady in my village to take her or another oldie, as she hasnt been

the same since her gentle Lucy left for the bridge..

Would she trust a dog walker from The Cinammon Trust - because that way if the dog does walk a nice walk once a week, someone from there could help her out.

Not sure if she would as even when my Dad was alive he was not really allowed to walk HER dogs.

She was my first thought too - it's Maude (assuming that's who you mean):

http://www.oldies.org.uk/?p=8111 :wub: She's in Shropshire.

You could try posting similarly on Biggsd - southern based board if travel is an issue & whilst predominently Gsd it's not exclusively so - various multi breed rescues are also on there.

Best of luck with the search :flowers:

Teckels will if they have a suitable dog, based in Gloucester, 01452 740300, a little papilion there went to an elderly lady i know, the dog was frail as was she at the time, now i see both daily and trust me, both had a new lease of life when they found each other. Age isnt a barrier for the right home :)