UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bitch Behaviour

Hi - I am sure all you knowledgable bitch people can answer my question. I am currently looking after my friends little rescue bitch a 1 year old whippet lurcher and Chloe my rather pushy - ex semi-feral - and now just over 4 year old bitch is doing stuff I wasn't quite expecting. She has gone from telling little one off in mum type fashion when she arrived about a week ago to now bonking her just prior to playing with her.

Chloe has never really understood play and has only really learnt how to play (in the lounge at home) in the last few months. She is highly possessive over toys and if I try and play with Ellie and throw toys she will leap in first and quite aggressively snatch it away and run off with it. Outside of the house, she still won't play with other dogs and is still very nervous. She was dumped at around 4 months old and lived wild for about two months - hence her semi feral nature.

Is this normal type behaviour or should I be trying some behaviour modification?? I have a 6 year old boy lurcher who just plays with anyone and anything and is very laid back and apart from this bonking they all seem to get on extremely well. I have always lived with boy dogs and understand them a lot better than girls !!!

Would be interested to hear your opinions.

It's probably over excitement (or perhaps inappropriate play). When ever Breckin my springer does it, I just put him in a mini time out by holding his collar while he sits and we just wait for a bit until he calms down, then he is allowed to go play again. This has worked well and now bonking seems to only occur under specific conditions, no doubt having become a slightly learned response now.

The only reason I get involved and stop it is because the dog he does it to lets him carry on and just stands there with a very morose look on his face. The other 2 told him off immediately and he very rarely tries it with them. It wasn't something I wanted him to learn was appropriate.

Personally I would also be addressing her behaviour when you play with other dogs around her too. If she is generally quite pushy I would be practising self control exercises with her, and getting her to learn some default behaviours (min are generally and sit/down with eye contact) that will get her things she wants.

I think I have also come to the conclusion that it is dominancy. Because of Chloe's early background she was forced to grow up very early and never really had a puppyhood. She had to be strong and dominant to survive and she hates weakness in any form. I had a problem recently with her picking on a very timid and scared dog that walks where we do, which I have dealt with by telling her in no uncertain terms that it is totally unacceptable.

Ellie justs accepts the bonking and then they play, I guess it is Chloe's way of telling her who runs our dog pack. She won't play tuggies with me but she will with the other dogs and I think the possessiveness is just a total misunderstanding of what playing is all about. I have spent nearly 4 years trying to work out how to teach this dog to play - spoken to umpteen friends and trainers about how to do it and all we have managed between us is her playing in her "den" (the lounge). Zippo anywhere else.

They all seem happy together and Chloe is playing more now than I have ever seen her play before, so I think I will just leave them too it and hope that Ellie teachs Chloe about playing. Dogs have wonderful communication methods so with a bit of luck Ellie will succeed where I have failed.

Thanks guys for the advice

My last dog would stand and make humping movements when she was with one particular male. Never ever did it with any other dog.

My Lottie did the same thing once with a male dog. Just the once and I cannot remember the dog. I have a funny feeling it was the same dog Lucy did it to though.

Sadly both Lucy and the male Muttly are both at the bridge now.