UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Whistle Training For A Novice

Dave

Hi all

I want to start training my little pap to a whistle. He has good recall and with do the basics, sit stay down etc. But he does have a high chase instinct more so than my Lurcher!! Once he sees a dog, a stakeboard a bike, or anything that moves hes off and hes sooo forcused on it I cant bring him back and get him under control. I thought whistle training might help me get better control over him while he is off lead? and Maybe control this chasing?

any help and tips welcome as I have never whistle trained a dog before in my life! :P

Thanks all

Dave

I start training my dogs to a whistle by blowing the whistle when I'm going to feed them. Decide what whistle pattern you are going to use. I use two long pips for 'come'.

So assuming the dogs are hanging around as you prepare dinner, two long pips then put the dinner down.

Any time you are giving a treat, two long pips and give the treat.

It should only take a few days for them to associate the whistle with food and come running when they hear it.

I then start to introduce the whistle as a recall signal. I call the dog verbally, as normal, and when it is coming to me I blow the whistle, and praise/ reward as normal when the dog arrives.

When my dog is retrieving a toy I blow the whistle as it is coming towards me.

All this time I continue to blow the whistle to signal dinner time/ treat time and try using the whistle alone to call the dog in from the garden, or for dinner if they are not around when I am preparing it.

When they are responding to the whistle at home I try it out at the park etc when there are not too many distractions, just as you would building up your verbal command.

Also any time the dog is running back to me of its own accord I take the chance to blow the whistle.

I do find some dogs respond better to a whistle than a verbal command.

To stop a dog who is chasing I find it is more successful to teach an instant down, rather than expect the dog to change direction while chasing.

When I whistle train pups I always start by only blowing the whistle when I feed them. I dont blow the whistle at any other time for a few weeks. From there I move on to blowing the whistle everytime I call them for something nice like a game or a cuddle or a treat - what ever it is which is rewarding to them and therefore motivational. If it is a dog which is clicker trained then you can combine the two, Whistle for the instant recall and the clicker to reinforce. I would only practise this on a long line because the idea is to have the dog return instantly no matter what the distraction. You have to build it up a bit at time. Firm foundations and fun in the training, allowing your dog to get it right often will make you seem very rewarding. Remember that the reward you give has to match the thing they have left to return to you, so have different levels of treats/rewards.

Hope this is helpful :)

We used a similar method - first week blow the whistle in front of the dog and give the dog a treat straight away. Week two is whistle for small recall in house and garden and then treat, week three is non-straight line recall (so hide out of sight in the garden or be in a different room of the house to the dog) and give a treat. We only then start trying the whistle on a walk afterwards.

Good luck!

well the whistle training with Ollie seems to be going well. He already has the idea when I blow the whistle he comes to me for a treat. But already seems to know when I dont have treats also. He is a very bright dog so that helps. Seems to have got the idea very quick only been training 2 days :)

Thanks All

Well the whistle training is going very well. Today I went upstairs and blew the whistle Ollie came running! (so did sally and ive not done any whistle work with her ) Then when we went on our 'walkies' Sister was walking both dogs offlead - I left them walk ahead...stood back and whistled Ollie came running. Tried it again out in the field 1st time it failed but he was playing ball and the second time he came running. :) Not bad i dont think for a few days training.

Been whistle training on and off parts of the day, this morning I was up stairs whistled and ollie came running, then I started hiding in other rooms and whistling he came. I took him out in on of the lanes (no traffic) left him off lead. made him stay, they whistling him and he comes running every time now. Seems to have cought on very quick. :biggrin: