UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kiera's A Flyball Virgin No More!

BillyMalc

Thanks for the update, and sorry I've not been back to check sooner :blush:

As for today's practice: really mixed feelings. After an initial "can't be asked" attitude, Kiera really got into the swing of things and we did a few proper runs with 2 other dogs, which was great! :biggrin:

But then out of the blue, when she was taking the jumps, Kiera decided that the horse in the next field was waaay more interesting, so jumped the orange netting and off she was, jumping round and barking at hte horse. Fortunately said horse is well used to dogs and actually wanted to say hello, which did scare her, but it could have been way different. This field is only "secured" by 2 rows of barbed wire. The next field is a lot better secured, which is just as well because it has sheep in it! :ohmy: Again, fortunately they didn't catch Kiera's eye, but I know it'll only be a mater of time before they will, and if there is a gap in the fence she will find it and get in with the sheep! And now it turns out that those sheep sometimes are in the other field with the 2 rows of barbed wire - that just as well might not be there as far as a dog like Kiera is concerned.

It really shook me up today, and I'm sorry but I can't rely on people's offers to be vigilant and catch Kiera should she run out of line. Because she is totally unpredictable - I have introduced her to the horse before, and every time we've gone to see him she was fine, not the littlest bit of excitement on her part when she was faced with him. Like today she'll be fine 10-12 times and then the next time she'll go!

I'm really not sure if it's a good idea to carry on. Don't get me wrong, I really like the sport, and the club, but the location really worries me. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Was a lot happier with Kiera’s flyball practice on Sunday! :) Especially after having heard from Kimbas mum that the sheep field is tried and tested 'Maddie proof'. If Kimbas mum's Maddie can't get through then Kiera really don't stand a chance (at least I hope so! :unsure:) She still jumped the orange netting twice to go and “see†the horse, but the horse was completely not interested, so the second time she just ran round him once and came back. Then someone positioned herself between the ‘track’ (still not up on proper flyball terminology I’m ‘fraid! :rolleyes:) ) and the horse’s field. We all watched Kiera being on her way, obviously looking towards the field and then deciding that it was a no-go. So she got the ball and came running back and was duly rewarded for that! :)

She’s definitely got the hang of it now, “all†she needs to do now is pick up speed – when we’re playing chuck-it she’s really fast running after her ball! But maybe she’s just happy pootling along and getting a sweetie upon her return to me and if that’s the case then I’m fine to go with that :) I’d also be happy to be competitive and race her, but only if that’s what she’d be happy to do as well. :)

Really pleased that all went well at training, one of these days I'll manage to get there to see her play!!!

Hopefully now that she has decided that the horse is no fun she will start to concentrate more on the flyball, Kimba used to be really slow too, until he was 100% confident of what he was doing he wouldn't really try. At the start of last summer he was timed at aroun 6.5secs, now that he has got his head round the idea and is confident with it all he runs at under 5secs and almost keeps up with the collies!!! I'm sure in time Kiera will get quicker, and if not, it doesn't matter - she still gets to have fun doing it!!!