UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kiera's A Flyball Virgin No More!

BillyMalc

Hello, newby on this section of the Refuge :)

After hearing lots of really exciting stories off Kimbas Mum - while she expertly de-knotted Malcolm's poor old back :biggrin: - and a tournament visit a few weeks earlier, Kiera finally got her chance to have a go at flyball this afternoon! She was well up for racing at the guy-at-the-back-with-the-ball and running back with it

but had a bit less interest in the ball when it was just put on the 'ramp' (bear with me whilst I'm trying to come to grips with all the terms!). Eventually she did pick it up and ran back after me tho, with me running for my life, shouting 'KIERAKIERAKIERAKIERAKIERAKIERA GOOOOOOOODD!!!!' :wacko: I "think" she enjoyed it, although she seemed a bit unsure about all the other dogs that were about, obviously being very excited. I think that, once she has got a bit more confidence, she really will enjoy it. It gets her out and about and she gets to play with balls AND eat sausages! Now what else could a girl like Kiera ask for? :rolleyes: Thanks to everyone at the Cheshire Set for making us feel very welcome and we hope to see you again soon!

Thank you!!!! :biggrin:

By the sounds of it we'll fit right in :wacko:

We got homework as well, which was to teach Kiera to 'fetch': a ball on top of a bucket and trying to get her to grab it and come back. Well clever clogs here has cracked it already :wink: We even got as far as Kiera waiting on her bed in the living room, while I put the ball on top of the bucket in the kitchen, and then trotting over at the 'fetch!' command to go and bring the ball back. :biggrin: Not really sure what use waiting patiently lying down will have, (probably none whatsoever!), but it added a bit to a game which she now 'gets'. Can't wait till next time!!

Thank you!!!! :biggrin:

By the sounds of it we'll fit right in :wacko:

We got homework as well, which was to teach Kiera to 'fetch': a ball on top of a bucket and trying to get her to grab it and come back. Well clever clogs here has cracked it already :wink: We even got as far as Kiera waiting on her bed in the living room, while I put the ball on top of the bucket in the kitchen, and then trotting over at the 'fetch!' command to go and bring the ball back. :biggrin: Not really sure what use waiting patiently lying down will have, (probably none whatsoever!), but it added a bit to a game which she now 'gets'. Can't wait till next time!!

I'm looking forward to seeing her in action - not sure when we are next training - we are competing this weekend and I think next weekend as well, did Ron or Mandy tell you?

yes and im going to miss you AGAIN

we are in Sat and your in Sun

wish you would stop taking all these measures just to avoid hearing Brocks barking :biggrin:

Something tells me it is you avoiding us lot - and who could blame you :rolleyes:

We are always in on sundays cos Jayne works on Saturdays so much easier for everyone (mainly me!!!) if we can get in on a Sunday so I don't have to run 3 dogs :wacko: :wacko:

Glad to hear that you both enjoyed our Training session. Kiera is a Star and I am sure she will pick Flyball up in no time. she will soon get used to all the other dogs barking when she has been coming a few weeks and will become as mannick as they are eventually :biggrin:

Its sounds like Kiera is doing really well with her homework. :thumbsup_anim: The next step is to build the distance up to approx 51 feet (the length of a Flyball run) perhaps in the garden or when out for a walk. If you don't want to take a bucket out with you try putting the ball on a tree stump, park bench or just on the ground. this will teach her to fetch a ball that is stationary, rather than one which is thrown.

Weather permitting we should be training again on Sunday the 9th or if not on Sunday the 15th of December. We are not training this weekend because we are competing at Doncaster. If you would like Ron's telephone number so that you can check when training is on, pm one of us Cheshire setters :biggrin:

Hope you will join us again

Mandy

• 1 month later...

Forgot to update! :blush:

Well it wasn't until last weekend that we went to flyball again, so we had to recap for a few goes, but Kiera did get the idea again fairly quickly, and this time she was actually pretty good with running up to the box on her own, rather than me trotting behind her trying not to make an idiot of myself by tripping over the jumps (you can wait for that! :rolleyes: ). Of course I can't see what she's doing once I've sent her off, but Mandy said that Kiera was actually doing flyball a good few times! :biggrin: Knowing Kiera, she slows down significantly when she's asked to do something that she doesn't want to do (cue: out of the kitchen while I'm cooking! :rolleyes: ), I reckon she does enjoy this!

I also got my first training session in loading the box - boy you don't have to be half quick with that if you don't want your hands to be stripped of skin and flesh! :ohmy: I'll learn fast, promise!

Unfortunately no training today, as there weren't enough takers, but hopefully we will be on next Sunday!

Has anyone posted how today's tournament went btw? Not that I'll understand anything about points scored, but was it good, who ran and all that? :)

Glad to hear Kiera is having fun at flyball - all being well we will actually be at training this weekend to see you both (weather permitting!!!)

We had a fab day on Sunday - Kimba really enjoyed playing with the speedy dogs!!! Lots of fun trying to control the big beast but generally all went really well.

Hope to see you Sunday