UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Worried My Vet Has Misdiagnosed Purdie

Natpants

I've got a bit of a mystery.

Last night I was away for the night, and my lodger/housemate who I entrust Purdie to looked after her. OH and I got back at around lunchtime, and this morning my housemate had sent me texts saying Purdie had been reluctant to eat the previous night's dinner and was refusing breakfast. Anyone who knows Purdie will know this is totally unheard of, she's the greediest dog ever.

She was bloated and looking pregnant (she's spayed and slender usually) so I have just taken her to the emergency vet, worried about bloat etc. She was in fairly high spirits, she'd eventually eaten breakfast several hours later and was still interested in food my housemate had but just in case it was bloat I took her in as I didn't want to leave it until tomorrow if it was...

The vet felt her stomach and straight away thought she'd over eaten. My housemate had assured me she hadn't so I thought perhaps Purdie had got into the food cupboard and helped herself to her Dr John's and my housemate hadn't noticed. On the X-ray the vet took it shows (according to him) uniform food around the edges of her stomach, and he thought she must have eaten her food rather than rubbish etc for it to look like that, as rubbish would be all different shapes.

BUT and this is the weird thing - Purdie cannot have eaten any food I'm having a new kitchen so all the food was in boxes on the dining room table, there was nothing she could eat (only jars of herbs etc and all boxed up and high up) and no evidence anyway to suggest she'd been foraging. All the rubbish bags were intact and her food had only been opened last night by my housemate and was defintiely not chewed or "broken into" by Purdie beforehand, yet she was off her dinner last night so she would have had to have over-eaten before the new bag of food was opened. We have wracked our brains and cannot think of anything Purdie could have eaten so now I'm worried he's misdiagnosed her or something... There is honestly nothing that looks like it could ahve been tampered with and my housemate swears she was around Purdie all the time and knows her well enough to know to keep doors etc shut.

It's a mystery! Any ideas? :unsure:

Yes, she's been after it when I've been packing, and she's chewed a hole in the side of the bag it's in, she may not have got any out but I can't tell, and I just can't think what else it could be. She does eat toys and bedding given half the chance and she's been obsessing about this bubble wrap... Would she be able to pass it do we think? She sometimes passes bits of plastic dog toy...

Well she had a big squidgy one yesterday at the vet's and a squidgy one this morning but nowhere near the quantities/explosion I was told to expect! She's clearly feeling better though (trying to steal the bubble wrap, and whining for dinner which she's not getting!) and has slimmed a lot since yesterday so I'm hoping it's on its way out!