UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dylan

redditchlady

As the title says, Dylan looks like he may have an eye infection. :( He just woke up, I noticed his one eye looked a bit gunky. I cleaned it with some cold plain water and cotton wool. It was definitely ok last night as I groomed him.

Advice, do I keep an eye on it (excuse the pun) or take him to the vets. He is ok in himself and it's not bothering him at all.

Or is there an ointment I can buy over the counter for him. A bit of history he is an elderly little Mini Schnauzer cross. Attitude on a stick in the vets that is why I dont want to take him unless absolutely necessary.

I was thinking watch it closely and clean for a couple of days if need be and see if it clears by itself. He definitely has nothing in it as that was the first thing I checked for.

Any other advice anyone can give I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance. :)

Kazz x

Kazz, although the vet's would be stressful, I'd be inclined to take Dylan in, just to be on the safe side.

Personally, I'd rather get the vet to diagnose a problem with one of my dog's eyes and treat accordingly, as you don't know what has caused the infection, if that is what it is.

Kazz, although the vet's would be stressful, I'd be inclined to take Dylan in, just to be on the safe side.

Personally, I'd rather get the vet to diagnose a problem with one of my dog's eyes and treat accordingly, as you don't know what has caused the infection, if that is what it is.

Just called them and they have said it is ok to use the Camomile for today and if the discharge is crusty or anything tomorrow get him down there. It wasn't green or crusty today, but just had run a little in the night. Im probably being a bit over careful, but he is an oldie. :wub:

I was going to suggest giving the vet a call, but you've done that already :biggrin: Hope Dylan's eye's clear up quickly :GroupHug:

Little hint, when bathing/wiping the eyes with cotton wool, do it from the inside to the outside of the eye ONCE, then use a fresh piece of cotton wool to wipe again :wink:

Thanks for that. :flowers:

Its not run since earlier on so shall keep a close eye on him for today. :)

Mini schnauzers can get gunky eyes anyway - just tried to look for a picture of Eddie's eyes and can't find one which shows the gunkiness up. As long as the eye isn't stuck together, I wouldn't be too worried :) I'd try and get into a routine of getting the 'eye bogies' out of the corner of his eye regularly, so it doesn't build up :)

To get Emma's "eye bogies" out, I use a cotton bud. Pull the lower lid down a little bit and "pull" the "eye bogie" out with the cotton bud (there is never any contact with the eye then, like it is if you try it with a tissue). Works a treat :biggrin: Must be followed up by a treat though :laugh: :laugh: When Emma sees me approaching her with a cotton bud she sits immediately :biggrin: She'll do anything for a treat :wink: :laugh:

Edited by our little godsend