UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Raw Feeding For A Sensitive Tummy?

gooster

Hi all

Have come to the conclusion that the prescription diet is just not working for Ted. His tummy is constantly sore to touch, even the meds from the vets hasn't helped. Having looked at the ingredients, the main ingredient is rice. Thinking about it tonight, have concluded that it might be the volume of rice that is setting him off.

Have been out and bought some wafcol salmon and potato today to see if he is any better on that. However if he isn't, am going to have to look down the raw feeding route.

As he is allergic to chicken and various other meats, am a bit worried about what I could feed him. Also someone at work suggested that if he is allergic to a meat in it's cooked form, he may be ok raw? I hadn't heard that before :unsure:

We are now thinking that if the new food today doesn't help, we should get allergy tests done to find out what exactly he is allergic to.

Could anyone help us figure out a meal plan for him? He currently weighs 10kg, but I suspect a lot of that was gas when he was weighed at the vet. He should be about 8.5kg.

Thank you :flowers:

It could well be that he won't be allergic to raw meats that he was allergic to as cooked. One of the things I would start him off on raw is one sort of raw meat and then gradually introduce others. The first one I am thinking of is Tripe. A lot of dogs that are allergic to other stuff can tolerate tripe with no problem at all and I once knew a GSD that could eat nothing else but tripe and lived on it until he went to the Bridge aged 13 !!

Raw feeding is pretty simple - you simply feed between 2-3% of adult body weight per day split into at least two meals for a sensitive tummy . I am rubbish at maths and without a calculator at this early hour I will give you the simply example. If Ted should weigh 10kg then he would have been 200 and 300g a day which would be 100g or 150g at each meal.

I am happy to send you some information and will drop you a pm with my email address so that if you want to pick my brains some more you can. I am away in the UK from Monday for about 5 days but will have intermittent email access.

Don't worry about raw feeding, it isn't rocket science, I have been feeding my dogs like this since 1995 and all of the generations have been fantastically healthy. I live down here in the tick and flea capital of France and because my dogs are so healthy they never get fleas and have only had 3 ticks the entire year.

Will pm you now

Anne

I find Darlings to be an excellent company for raw feeding and they will tailor make food for your dogs and work out the quantity for their weight, breed, etc.. All food is free range, ethical, organic and responsibly sourced. Not the cheapest as you might expect, but excellent, my dogs absolutely love it!! http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/