UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Are Dog Owners Getting Worse?

Clare

Just pondering really, do you think there are more numpties becoming dog owners?!

My mum has just phoned very upset as her dog has just been attacked and pinned down by another dog whilst out walking, while the dogs owner sat on bench and did nothing whilst mum tried to get the dog off Poppy. She is very shocked and upset, Poppy is limping but seemingly doesn't have any wounds that she can see at the moment under all her hair.

I have to admit since Murf became fragile I avoid other dogs when out we had so many occasions when was bounced on by over enthusiastic dogs, or charged at by others that I don't feel safe anymore. My friend recent nearly lost her dog when severely attacked by another dog :mecry:

I have also had trouble with dog walkers whilst riding my horse, we have been chased and jumped up at a few times and generally hassled by out of control dogs, and I know others at the yard have had the same. We hack in a small area so I can see the same dog a few times on a ride and get the same problems each time our paths cross :angry:

We have footpaths running through the land at the stables and we have had problems with dogs running off the footpath and wherever they fancy, yard owner recently had to have words with a walker who walks on the footpath but uses his chuck-it over the fence into fields with horses in them. He didn't see anything wrong in what he was doing :wacko: We have had so many incidents recently that poor yard manager is having to try and find money to stock fence as many areas as she can afford.

I don't remember feeling so apprehensive about seeing other dogs when out walking or riding before but certainly the last 12 months this has been the case and its making me as a dog lover wary of dogs :wacko:

Are we in a bad area or are other people finding the same?

Ohhhh gentle :GroupHug: for poor Poppy and your mum :GroupHug:

There are stupid ignorant owners everywhere, I do my best to avoid them. A few weeks ago we were nearing the entrance to the beach, my 3 back on lead again when a complete t*@t got out of his jeep, coffee in one hand, chuckit in the other and a black lab running amok while he just stood looking around him :angry: I had to bite my tongue and keep walking or I would have looked like some possessed woman about to spontaneously combust :laugh:

Tell me about it! I try to make it out of the park every morning by 7.30 latest, before the bulk of the numpty brigade shows up. During sunny weekends the park is a no go area, but not just because of the hapless dog owners; the vast majority of park users seems to have left their brains at home when they left the house - and that is assuming that they had them to begin with!

And I could write a book about the "he only wants to play" eejits who let their dogs run riot around my increasingly agitated Sparks :mad:

Then, on the other hand.... last week we went to the beach, a mate with her 2 very well behaved dogs and the hooligans n me. It was my fault for not checking the tides so we had a lot less beach, and, due to the nice weather, a lot more people around us. I was also dead tired so not on my most alert, and it took Sparky 3 counts of not behaving as required (going for dogs and pinning them down) before I saw the light and put him on his lead :blush: Amazingly enough mate still wants to come out with us :wacko: Lesson learned for next time I guess....

And then there is the lady who rides her horse at a snail's pace through the local nature reserve. I obviously prefer it to her galloping all over the place, mowing dogs and children in her path down, but it means that I call my 2 back to me as soon as I see her - and sometimes her chums - and have them sit patiently with me until they have passed. Would I ever get a 'thank you' or even a not and a smile? Will I heck, she looks down on us like we're vermin!

TBH, and I'm trying very hard not to be too negative, I think that hapless dog owners are just one symptom of a society where everyone is encouraged to get whatever they want, whenever they want, but is discouraged from using common sense and taking responsibility, unless they have taken the relevant course and are "qualified! :rolleyes:

I get the "only wants to play" when im on the horse :wacko:

Horse riders that aren't polite are another bug bear so I won't get started on that :mad: but from all the riders with manners thank you :flowers:

I think Billy hit the nail on the head, todays society is more "im okay thats all that matters" and it runs over into all aspects of life, very sad :sad02: