UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Weeing Cat

bonniebird

Hi all, my cousin has had his cat spayed recently. Since she was done, she has sprayed/peed on there 3 year old sons bed :ohmy: she has a clean litter tray in the house and does go outside. She is a kitten, has had one season before being spayed, any ideas why she would do this?

Thanks

Karen x

First thing would be to rule out any health issues then it is a case of detective work to find out the cause. It can often be stress, e.g. if a stray cat is hanging about and bullying/frightening the existing cat so they are afraid to go outside. I have a cat who by nature is very nervous and will wee on the bed or carpet. She is now 12 years old and has been here since a kitten. She spends a lot of time in the bedroom with a litter tray but if she has had a poo in the tray first she won't then use the tray for a wee and even if I leave two litter trays her little brain won't think to use the second one! So it can also be a toileting issue.

It can be very hard to find the reason and I had to try many different solutions, I'd say we are 96% there now.

It may not be relevant in your case but my cats urine sometimes smells very strongly of ammonia and when I asked the vet if this was significant she said it implies that she has been holding herself for a long time (then when she does go it's like a flood).