UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cross Stitch - Computer Software Recommendations

Mrs B

This is why I love The Refuge - it gives me somewhere to come to ask about anything when all other avenues have failed.

Mr B has decided that he would like to buy me a software program for Christmas, which turns pictures or photographs into cross stitch charts. I would never have thought to ask for it for myself, but I'm quite impressed with his innovative thinking - but we have failed to work out what would be any good - either we're looking in the wrong places, or people who cross stitch are too busy doing that to review programs or put helpful information on the internet!

I know very little about what these programs do, but would like something that is adaptable enough that I can choose to use 10 colours rather than 110 - and I'm more likely (at this stage) to want to convert small simple pictures for cards and so on, than complicated photographs (Tigger and Daisy, you will have to wait a while). Oh, and it needs to run on Windows 7. I'm sure Mr B would pay a reasonable amount, but I suspect there is little point in him spending £100 on a professional program - unless someone can convince me that's what I need.

I don't seem to be able to find either a definitive listing of programs, or any decent reviews of them.

Anyone able to help?