UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Finding Sirius

If you want to find the dogstar I think its easiest if you look for Orion first

The easiest way to find Sirius is to find Orion first
( easy to find by his belt , 3 stars in a diagonal line ) he is quite high in the sky in a southern direction. To the bottom left of Orion
( he is at a angle this time of year ) and lower down is a very bright star and thats Sirius its far brighter than anything else in the sky in that direction . Orion
is the hunter and Sirius is part of the constellation Canis Major ( the dog ) and is his hunting dog , below Orion and the right of Canis Major is the constellation Lepus ( the hare ) who they are hunting .

declate.jpg

The other thing to factor in is the time of night you look. In the UK this time of year Sirius is visible in the South east around 22.00hrs and still fairly low down in the sky , by midnight its nearer south /south east and by the time its dipping back under the horizon around 05.00hrs its in the South West

If you don’t know what direction your house faces you can check via
enter your postcode and then select birds eye view to find North

• 1 month later...

It's not visible from our garden until after about 9ish because of houses and trees in the way.

I think Pete and I would like to get a bit more into astronomy; we are fascinated by it. Its mind boggling to be able to see planets with the naked eye.

As an aside we get all giddy every time we see the ISS go over; the shuttle is even more exciting, I shall have to check whether that is still flying or has been binned yet.

Could you or Mark recommend an astronomy book thats got lots of pretty pictures in as well as useful info?

I am always staggered by a size comparison chart that I have seen, do you know the one that I mean with a row of planet/stars then the next row has the largest of the row above it as the smallest of it's row? That sounds a bit garbled, sorry if only I know what I am talking about! :rolleyes: :laugh:

What you need is a planisphere. This two rotating circles on which you dial up the date and time where you are and it will show you what its visible in the sky at that time. Obvioulsy they make these for different locations and this one is Canadian but works for UK (slightly better for Scotland than south of England)

You can print it off and cut it out and assemble it yourself and if you like it any good stationers/book shop should have one. Phillips Plansiphere is probably the best but I am sure there are others.

http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/education/astronomy/constellations/planisphere-2.html