UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogstars Midge

I have been asked privately why Midge was not euthanised once it became clear she was failing , I am more than happy to answer it publicly

Euthanasia is not commonly available in Sri Lanka and is not taught to students at the University. Euthanasia is also not accepted by the pubic in rural areas or a number of reasons including religious and cultural beliefs , tradition and a lack of understanding of the process. There is not translation for euthanasia in Sinhala and the best translation would be "kill the dog"

Dogstar do have access to vets who will perform euthanasia and all 3 trustees support euthanasia as a valid treatment option and I personally have spoken with some Universtary staff on the subject . We do encourage the vets we work with to consider and discuss euthanasia and have made great progress in this area but even so many of the vets will only do so if we keep their identity private.

Although she was failing Midge was not suffering , she was not in pain or distress and she was eating , moving and was able to toilet outside. In Midges case we felt letting nature take its course was best course of action and Midge passed away very peacefully in her bed ( a pillow )