UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I'M Sorry Difficult Thing To Ask About

Clare

We use the Pet Crematorium here:

http://www.pet-crematorium.co.uk/site/

Not near you but most areas have somewhere similar. The Phoenyx Hounds so far have all ended up being PTS at my vets and I've left almost all of them there to be collected. The Pet Crematorium collect them and I have the ashes returned in a casket a few days later.

It's a difficult thing to discuss sometimes but basically this is what happens here:

Depending on which vets you use the facilities vary. Most have a morgue - either a refrigerated room or a freezer - where they keep the bodies of our pets (sealed in a special body bag) until they are collected and taken for cremation. It's not nice to think of them being 'stored' but at the end it's only their shell that's left behind and it's not for long, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

The staff at our Pet Crem are exceptional. Whether they take the deceased pet from the vets or if you take them yourself they are handled with care and dignity. If we take an animal direct to them, they have a chapel of rest where they'll lay the pet out in state for you to say goodbye in private. :mecry:

I've been asked before what happens to the small animals here at Phoenyx Animal Refuge when they die. Because I have a lot of animals (not as many as I used to these days) and most are old when they come here (and they come here for the rest of their lives, not to be rehomed), I see a lot die each year. I have my own 'morgue', a freezer where the little ones are kept until there are a few of them then they are taken to the Pet Crem for a group cremation and the ashes returned in a scatter box. Logistically I can't have separate cremations for every one, plus I like the idea that they don't go alone. Strange maybe but that's the way I do it.

Hope that hasn't offended anyone...

Jules

x

Edited by Phoenyx

Jules that is really helpful thank you :flowers: I think that the littlies go together is lovely :wub:

Its comforting to hear someone that has used Dignity thank you. I have contacted them and they seemed very nice so think when the time comes we will use them, and I guess it depends on the circumstances if we can take him to them ourselves or have him collected from the vet.