UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rat Numbers In The Uk

Ratscallions

Hi there,

I've just been contacted by a journalist (some of you are probably familiar with Alan Breeze). He's managed to sell an article to a paper about rats, but they have some further questions which have him stumped. I'm hoping that you guys may be able to give me some ideas as to how to find out this information.

1) How many people in the UK own a pet rat?

2) How many pet rats get abandoned each year?

My first port of call was to see how many rats Simons Rodents sell to pet stores each year, as it'll give a rough guide. They're going to call me back with a figure.

I'm now going to see if I can find out from the RSPCA what sort of figure they have for rats being surrendered. But obviously there are sooo many small rescues; I know how many I had last year ... anyone else want to share figures?? (Please)(You can PM me).

He's hoping for this info by tomorrow, but I'm guessing it can wait an extra day.

Thank you everyone :)

Nim

I have rehomed approximately 20-30 rats a year for the last 3 years (more sporadicly before then, not as many). These mostly come in and go out in groups. Some have stayed here permanently due to health or temperament issues. :flowers:

ETA: I would get in touch with the NFRS if I were you - or the man interested could. They will have a lot more info on numbers of owners I would imagine.

Edited by KathyM

I have rehomed approximately 20-30 rats a year for the last 3 years (more sporadicly before then, not as many). These mostly come in and go out in groups. Some have stayed here permanently due to health or temperament issues. :flowers:

ETA: I would get in touch with the NFRS if I were you - or the man interested could. They will have a lot more info on numbers of owners I would imagine.

Thanks Kathy.

NFRS is indeed my next stop :)