UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sewing Machine

Lizzie

As always this is where I find Fugees come into their own with advice about buying stuff. :)

I need a new sewing machine, my last one has finally bit the dust. It was a few years old to say the least.

Now I need advice about the best buys, just an ordinary sewing machine for soft furnishings (doggy bedding :wink: ). Don't suggest an all singing all dancing makes the tea type machine, because I just won't need all the doo dah's on it, not only that I'm not brill with techy stuff. :laugh:

Any recommendations please?

I recently bought a Janome 8077 from here. I love it although admittedly my comparison is with a very cheap (less than £50 model from Tesco). Has computerised selection of stitches which I really like as I had trouble selecting the stitch I wanted with the dial on my other one (probably something to do with the model rather than mechanical selection itself though). I'm also liking the top loading bobbin which is so much simpler, and silly things like the up down button for the needle. I'm doing quilting at the moment so that has been really handy, the stop start button is also handy for quilting too.

I'm not exactly a seamstress - I can sort of sew in a straight line and so far I've just made a couple of quilts, some curtains and cushion covers. It has more than enough for me without being humongously expensive, although I really only spent that much as I "found" some money I didn't know I had! The difference in smoothness and quietness is huge compared to my other machine though....... I can't believe I've just given a review of a sewing machine

Thanks Ellie, I do indeed have 5 sewing machines. :biggrin:

For a basic beginners level machine I would recommend a toyota of some description. The brother and singer sewing machines are a little more complicated in their operation and spool threading.

Toyota jeans model looks good

Toyota es0a21 is the same one as my basic but it was just the es21 when i bought it

Toyota RS2000

all depends on your budget really :)