UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kazillions Of Rats - Eek

Ratscallions

Todays update:

Hello everyone,

I have uploaded pics of everyone. http://picasaweb.google.com/102147299750208371178/RattiesGroup1AndGroup2# and http://picasaweb.google.com/102147299750208371178/BabyRats240410#

I'd like to welcome Mr Alastair Darling who is my little fighter. He was about 3 weeks old when he came and the size of a garden mouse. He is called Mr Darling because he has eyebrows like his name sake and as much attitude. Mr Darling was as thin as a rake and I didn't think he'd make it as way way too young to have been away from mummy. But he is a fighter and has not stopped eating. Even though his teeth/mouth are so small he can't really bite into the rat nuggets he is determined to eat and live. He sits in the middle of the food bowl and just keeps on eating. He loves his lactol and kitten food and again eats for england...it is rare to find Mr Darling without some form of food in his mouth. I'll take a photo of him for you all later.

Group 1 are doing very well. My lovely vet did a house visit yesterday to check them all and was pleased with them all. All the 3-4 week old ones in group 1 are thriving. Girls are no longer licking the bowl clean (they in the first 2 days ate as much as my adult group of 12 did in a week!) although I was 30 mins going to do morning rounds and the bowl was clean..... I was suitably told off by 24 chattering girls. The boys sit and wait patiently for the food bowl to be emptied.

Group 2 are coming round. The guy they came from is a good guy who fell on very bad times and his rats ended up living in plastic storage boxes which has made a lot of them very shy. They are getting there though. The weaners are easy to work with and it will take a little bit more time to persuade the others life is ok.

The ladies in waiting (pregnant ones) are HUGE and I don't think far off givng birth. I separated them last night into pairs whilst I wait for the hamster cages to come into me - I have 2 new ones coming today. Checking them today I am suspicious that another 3 of them are pregnant from Group 2. I found a girl yesterday in with the boys and she is round and so are two other girls. Ho hum!

Nursing mummies are doing ok and babies are sooo cute. The topaz self bit me yesterday because I leant on the cage and it bled for an hour! Mental note not to do that again! Two of the litters have their eyes fully open now and are starting to explore the cage.... and both mums keep putting them back to bed.

Adult boys are very skittish, so they will need taming a bit but today is get them out of the cage day into a playpen and see how they are with some freedom and toys. I don't think they have ever had that. In fact I don't think ANY of the rats in either of the groups have ever had that.

So apologies for the appalling photos - they were how they arrived and I took photos in situ. I have helpers this weekend who will help me clean cages and take photos.

Lyn (and zillions of ratties)

Erm .. I'm uncertain of how to edit the message like you did. But .. the rats I've known frozen alive were not that young; I have no doubt that they do it that young too. I never said a snake did not have a right to life. I did not know the pain and suffering part of the law, can you tell me where that is please as I'd find it useful for future reference (PM me please). Ah, you hadn't said that you still breed, or that they were mice, hence the question.

No however you did say that a rat shouldn't be fed to any other animal, but snakes have to eat too. I cannot see this being a problem as long as the animal is treated with care and respect. :flowers:

The PDF of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 is here. I think the relevant section is page 6, but the whole document is interesting reading.

Lyns update today (Sunday):

After a long day yesterday, and an escapee in our garage (well done Nim for the rugby tackle catching) all are photographed. It was great fun and I am amazed at how they are starting to like me and become attached to me (and me to them :-)

Photos of all are here -

Females http://picasaweb.goo...1178/Females02#

Males http://picasaweb.goo...371178/Males02#

Babies http://picasaweb.goo...BabyRats240410#

All mums gave birth within hours of each other as well. Nim and I took bets that the husky one was first as she was ginormous, then the white one, then the ginger one and then the agouti. The agouti gave birth first, then the ginger one and then the white one (whilst I got showered and dressed) and then the husky. Agouti had 7, PEW 11, husky 15 and ginger I not 100% but it looks like 10 or so (she is not too keen at being disturbed). Husky mum is very very tired and I will not be surprised if she loses a couple as they are very very small and not fed yet.

If anyone would like more information on the babies that are available please contact me. Am happy to place reservations for those seriously interested.

[email protected]

(My own update):

I dragged my long-suffering husband down to Lyns yesterday with tales of barbecues and geek-speak. Little did he know that he was going to be lugging cages around all day hehehhee.

On a single run it takes about an hour and a half to get from my place to Lyns (unless I accidentally speed). Lyn had bought a couple of large cages from people in my area though, so we had to pick these up before making way, and then stop at an absolutely fantastic bedding supplier in Sutton Coldfield to pick up some Ecobed for her. We were amazed that everything fitted in our little car (Citroen C3).

Lyn now has enough cages; she has them stacked alongside her garage lol. They'll act as birthing cages should it arise that anymore females are pregnant later on. We took each cage in turn, emptying all rats into a play pen, cleaning the cage, then photographing and checking each rat as we replaced them back in their newly cleaned cage. They are absolutely amazing. When I saw the feeder rats on Monday they were all skittish, and terrified of noise let alone handling. The vast majority of them are now happy to be handled, and as you will see shortly, even behave for photographs.

Yesterday was the first time I met the second group of ratties though. Some are still a bit nervous, but given a week with Lyn I'm pretty confident that they'll all make fantastic pets too. This is the group the definitely pregnant does came in, so it was the first time I saw them too. I was amazed. I've obviously seen pregnant does before, but man ... I have never seen a rat as pregnant as the blue roan at Lyns. She quite literally looked like she'd swallowed a tennis ball. I was convinced she was going to drop her sprogs there and then. I was wrong ... all but her had dropped them by lunch time today apparantly lol. She's done her bit now though. I think between the four does, there are 39 babies have been born since yesterday.

When I saw the feeder rats on Monday, Lyn and I both thought that some of the older ones (nb about 8 or 9 weeks old) were pregnant. However, neither of us seem to think that any longer. It's possible that they had gorged themselves because they'd not had such good food before, or that they were pregnant and have now reabsorbed. (I've taken in rats that age that were pregnant before, so it's definitely not impossible lol).

Soooo .. I *think* everyone who will need a home has now arrived.

-----

Sample of pictures for anyone who doesn't have time to view the albums / needs their appetites whetting ;)

That's me holding the rats .. please excuse the yellow stains on my t-shirt; I got widdles on rather a lot lol.

Females:

female2.jpg

female3.jpg

female14.jpg

female13.jpg

Males:

adult%20male1.jpg

male5.jpg

male15.jpg

male3.jpg

And this is Alistair Darling:

male1%28Alastair%20Darling%29.jpg

He is the size of a mouse; probably about three weeks old. He had already been removed from his mother last weekend when Lyn took him in. He has a large lump on the side of his face. When I first saw him I thought he had a dislocated jaw, but given that he's not stopped eating since he arrived that seems unlikely. We think it's an abscess, but also that he may have a slightly malformed jaw. His teeth, at the moment, don't meet; if when the abscess (if it is one) goes, they still don't meet, he's going to need a very special human that can frequently clip his teeth. This is provided he survives; he's teeney, and he has diarea. We're worried for him.

Edited by Ratscallions

And this is Alistair Darling:

He is the size of a mouse; probably about three weeks old. He had already been removed from his mother last weekend when Lyn took him in. He has a large lump on the side of his face. When I first saw him I thought he had a dislocated jaw, but given that he's not stopped eating since he arrived that seems unlikely. We think it's an abscess, but also that he may have a slightly malformed jaw. His teeth, at the moment, don't meet; if when the abscess (if it is one) goes, they still don't meet, he's going to need a very special human that can frequently clip his teeth. This is provided he survives; he's teeney, and he has diarea. We're worried for him.

Oh bless him, he is rather lovely :wub:

I do have a soft spot for 'special needs' pets, never owned a rat before and I'm not sure how my cats would react, but he is very cute. Would he need to go to the vets to have his teeth clipped? At what age can they leave their mums to be rehomed? Sorry to keep asking questions, I'm just totally ignorant when it comes to rats- or rodents in general!

Oh bless him, he is rather lovely :wub:

I do have a soft spot for 'special needs' pets, never owned a rat before and I'm not sure how my cats would react, but he is very cute. Would he need to go to the vets to have his teeth clipped? At what age can they leave their mums to be rehomed? Sorry to keep asking questions, I'm just totally ignorant when it comes to rats- or rodents in general!

Unfortunately they arrived without their mothers, so Lyn is having to play mum to them all. Alistair himself is probably three weeks old now, so normally would be with mum for another two weeks. Not all vets are efficient at clipping teeth, so anyone interested would have to check with their vets first; it's very easy to shatter teeth when clipping them :(

Alistair is actually at the vets now. His face has swollen even more, so they're anaesthetising him to see if they can find out exactly what the problem is. Being so young we're a little worried that he may not come through the anaesthetic, but as Lyn said, he's a little fighter so if anyone can he can.

*fingers crossed* for him.

Todays update mainly concerns his fella:

Alistair Darlings face was so out of proportions this morning that Lyn felt it necessary to take him to the vets. The vet thought it best to aneasthetise the little boy to find out exactly what was going on. Being such a diddy fella we were a little worried that he wouldn't come out of the anaesthetic, but he did. The good news; the reason his face is deformed is a MASSIVE abscess, which has now been lanced. Provided it does clear up successfully, then his jaw should realign, and he should lead a normal life. The vet also discovered that he has a kind of nappy rash around his p****. She beleives this has been caused by him cleaning himself with infected saliva (because of the abscess).

There are two girlies who have problems too, though not as major as Mr Darling. One girl is extremely thin, with sucked in sides and laboured breathing, so Lyn is treating her as you would any other rat in a similar state. Another girl, named Pippa appeared to barely have a left eye when she arrived. But with eye drops and Lyns magic touch her eyes are nearly matching now. Wooohoooo.

Update from Lyn:

Sadly at about 8pm I found him cold and picked him up, warmed him up on a heat pad but sadly he died in my arms.

I am so unbelievably upset and can't stop crying. Such a little fighter who never stopped eating. We have buried him in a little tin, with a brand new hammock, several yoggies and a stash of food for his journey. I really thought he'd make it.

On a personal note, I'm really upset about this, as I know Lyn is. It's amazing how these little guys touch your heart in such a short period of time.

Update from Lyn:

After losing Mr Darling it took me a day or so to get back on track. Group 1 are just so lovely and they always now kiss me and are so pleased to see me. Group 2 are shyer but getting there.

One of the girls from group 2 I found in with the boys I think is definitely pregnant so as we speak she is in her little cage to wait and see. She is pretty big though and it doesn't all seem a food belly.

Good news is the majority of the kits from group 1 and 2 are reserved already which is great news.

Nursing mums are all doing well and their babies are almost a week old now. We only lost one kit who was so small and under developed.

Have weaned others early as the mums were getting so protective it was making the kits nervous. So all kits together in their relevant sex groups. Photos soon of them as they have changed so much. There are lots of agouti stunners and black berkies in there.

Oh no, such sad news :mecry:

So sorry to hear this :GroupHug:

Thank you Laura.