UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Parvo Virus Warning, Northampton Vets

Ian

I could just be very suspicious but reads like the vets are on a publicity drive given that they only opened 2 months ago and are asking people to call them!

Most vets have cases of parvo, it's sadly not that uncommon to warrant phoning the paper about it in an act of good citizenry!

Edited by reds

Whilst of course they are a new vets in the area & interested in promoting their own services (like any business) they could probably make a lot more money out of trying to treat dogs who had actually contracted parvo, possibly on cremation mark ups etc for those who didn't make it, Some survive, but it's a worry time for the owner beforehand & some die a horrible and preventable death. sad.gif

As a result of posting this someone tells me that Plymouth & Cornwall area has also had outbreaks & these reports include the PDSA who have little or nothing to gain by promoting vaccination

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/plymouth-evening-herald-the/mi_8036/is_20100204/protect-dog-parvovirus/ai_n49034350/

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/news/Rottweiler-dies-parvovirus/article-1809349-detail/article.html

The nice woman that does my swabs tells me that it could be a bad year for parvo because of the weather, with people wrongly thinking that the severe weather has killed of a lot of the virus, and being even more laxadaisical than usual. The way that the Swine flu precautions have been ignored is not a good sign.

We have to spread the message . if more people cleaned properly we could all but wipe it out. just throwing bleach around is not enough.

A campaign to get people to wipe the handles on supermarket trolleys and baskest with antibacterials is a way of spreading the word.

Spread the word not the germ!!!!!

Here is one of the best info pages I have found.......it makes the point about needing detergent to break through the fat of the faeces before the bleach can work.

Also most of the information was written before the advent of cheap UVC zapping with germicidal light. These are now ready available with the small hand version available on Amazon for only a fiver.

just a few moments ago I got delivery of the carpet sweeper version of thesewhich will be tested after Teddy Texas has his walk.

So " Dont just Bleach "

Just a quick addition about Virkon. Many people say this is by far the best version/mix of Bleach to use...

But remember two points----

it doenst like steel if you use it in a vehicle and do not rinse out properly.

The really useful version comes in a powder form...... but has it also has a pesticide content, you may be refused it without producing th e necessary spraying licence, depending how hoe helpful/slack the supplier..

But again onlys as part of a proper cleaning process.